ACN Latitudes Forums

Orthodontist appointment

Lee101

Tomorrow my daughter has an appt with the orthodontist. After reading so much tics increasing after visiting the dentist I am quite concerned. Should I mention that she has TS? Are they certain treatments or methods that can be used that would be less likely to trigger tics?

Cheers Lee

• 3 weeks later...

I found that most orthos don't know much about TS. I did tell them about the tics just to make them aware. My son has had his braces on for 18 months right now and I think we're in the last 9 month stretch here. He did tic more once the braces went on and he always tics more after getting them adjusted. Last week he got a new wire on and he started with a new lip stretching tic, but it only lasted for as long as the pain was there and then the tic faded away.

Wish most of his other tics would fade like that, LOL. I really don't think there are any types of orthodontic treatments that could be less likely to trigger tics. Every kid is different and there are many who have had no reactions at all to braces or ortho work. Let us know how it went.