ACN Latitudes Forums

Silly question about 23andMe Test

SSS

Hi there-

Alright- I know my dd8's MTHFR status (double A1298c, therefore I have 1 A1298c)

I have been mulling over doing 23andMe for both of us, however...(and I've been to the website)

Am I going to get a graph back telling me my percentage for Alzheimer's and Cancers?

Because, I do not want to see that- I really don't.

Before I found out I have chronic Lyme, I secretly worried I would have Alzheimer's -

my grandmother had it (and a mouth full of amalgams) :-(.

It was very late on set, and my memory is better after aggressive Lyme treatment,

but I do NOT want to see any graphs or percentages telling me I'm at a higher risk- otherwise,

might just mortgage out the house and head for Bora Bora after all ;-). But, really, it would always stick with me, and I already am health conscious/ living clean.

Thanks!

23andMe does test the APO gene for Alzheimer's and at least some variants of the BRCA gene (not the ones "patented" by some other co.) but you have to unlock those results - not just with one click but on two separate screens. Do you want to see your risks? Yes. Are you sure? Yes.

Much of the 23andMe info was only mildly informative. So my family has a higher risk for this or that - nothing surprising. It was stuff I already knew from family history. Nothing on 23andMe tells you what to do about any of your results, so not particularly helpful. Where the value lies for me is being able to take that data and then run it thru the various methylation apps out there and then turning to Yasko et al and reading what to do about those gene mutations. I also use it as a reference database when I read an article that says "researcher have found that those with xyz gene mutation have trouble with 123". I can then look up gene xyz and see where we stand.

I don't think other genes implicated in various cancers are locked and you do get some general info on "you have a 1.2x higher than normal chance of getting this disease" than those with the wild type form of this gene. But...even here, you don't need to read the reports if all you're wanting to do is download the raw data and run it thru methylations apps. There's a separate tab for downloading raw data and you could chose to not read any 23andMe stuff if that's your leaning. (I did find it funny to see how much of my blood line comes from Neanderthal).

Thank you LLM!

I did some more digging, and did learn what the 23andMe does disclose about Alzheimer's - and statistics with the variants,

but I did not know if it came blaring at you across the screen with the results-

so thank you for clarifying that :-)