ACN Latitudes Forums

Read this article about bad probiotics...

So I read this article talking about kids who take high doses of probiotics. Of course this gets my interest because we give pretty high doses to my daughter who has major stomach problems and chronic constipation. It was talking about D-lactate acidosis occurring when the body is unable to rid itself of D-lactic acid which occurs from the breakdown of high amounts of L. acidophilus. Here is the article. You all tell me what you think.....

http://www.mommypotamus.com/popular-probiotic-strain-may-induce-neurotoxicity/

Dedee

I think maybe this article . . . not dissimilar from the one that LLM posted a couple of weeks back about "good" probiotics versus "bad" ones . . . is sort of aimed at the explosion, if you will, of the grocery-story acidolpholus products ("Pearls," etc.) in the marketplace, complete with mainstream advertising about their benefits, and people having a tendency to rely almost solely on them for GI health.

We've not relied heavily upon acidolpholus since we found out it's readily killed off by antibiotics, and that's when the probiotics became so important and valuable, when DS was taking the abx.

In the end, I would think that too high amounts of many things could have unforeseen and unintended consequences, and perhaps if you were relying solely on acidolpholus . . . giving your kid 3 or 4 Pearls or doses daily or something like that, then there might be cause for concern. But if you're mixing it up and/or using blends, is there really enough acidolpholus in one of those formulations to cause trouble? I don't know.

Regarding your DD's stomach problems and constipation . . . we had some of that early on, too. Initially I thought it was just DS's OCD getting "stuck" on his GI and elimination habits, but then we decided to reduce the volume of probiotics, and he seemed to respond positively to a slightly lower dose -- less gas, less rumbly, etc. For him, there seemed to be that "tipping point" where benefit went to bother, and the other way 'round. Don't know if you've experimented with either other types of organisms or dosage levels? If so, have you noticed anything?

I'll also say, we decided to try some bentonite clay, too . . . not in copious amounts, but with the thought that, especially when taking abx, his gut might be collecting all sorts of extra "detritus" that could stand to be eliminated. He responded to the clay so well that, for a while, we got in the habit of using it every other day, and then went down to once per week, when he would start to complain of gas or bloating again, etc. It seemed to work wonders for those sorts of issues. We haven't used it in some time, but it's still in the pantry!

Edited by MomWithOCDSon

Honestly we have tried everything. To try to relieve her constipation, or should I say just to get her to have some sort of activity daily she takes (every day) magnesium citrate, vitamin c, Mag 7 (special formulated by yasko to produce BM) and a colon cleanse (yasko's brand). Not to mention between 50-100 billion units of probiotics. This girls has been constipated since I can remember. Literally had problems since she was a baby. I would give her more magnesium but there are so many other supplements I need her to take, I have to pick and choose what it most important. Just wondering if I should switch away from our Klaire brand of probiotics due to the L. acidophilus. I would hate to think I was causing more problems.

Dedee

Can't tell you how many times I ened up finding out I was actually contributing to my kids' problems instead of helping them. You wouldn't be the first mom. You could try lowering to see if it helps. I just started using a high bifido probioitc from Kirkman that seems well tolerated. It's always such a game of darts, isn't it...

Deedee...

My DS16 was constipated from birth. I nursed him, fed him well when he moved to solid food. Constipation lingered until age 12 when we ended up at a GI doc who said he would have to be hospitalized to be "cleaned out." At that time, I was working with a holistic doctor who urged me to change our family's diet. She recommended a gluten and casein free diet. I complied 100% (we went cold turkey) and my son's constipation went away within days. That was 4 years ago and he is never constipated.

Have you thought about an elimination diet? Gluten and dairy happened to be our culprits. Perhaps your daughter has food intolerances?

Just read your article...amazing...interestingly enough, 6 weeks after IVIG, I decided to add probiotics to his regime....I just went back and checked my journal that I keep for him. 2 days after starting the probiotics. my ds had a five day flare that freaked me out....then normal....since then....I am considering this a true "die off", since he went back to baseline and never looked back now on week 11 still amazingly good.. Should I have his levels checked though? I sure don't want to create another problem with toxicity...

dedee -- I do believe we experienced what this article speaks about with my ds11. he is not my 'technically diagnosed' pandas child. ~3 yrs ago, he did begin showing symptoms, he did have high strep levels and integrative doc believes TBI among other infections, although neg on quest lyme test. he began showing improvement with treatment. we did use a probiotic that I still believe is good for him, energy tested by doc - HMF Forte, 10 billion CFU.

I got the bright idea to try something stronger -- I got an expensive well known one -- much higher CFU, more strains. ds went backwards. luckily, I read about d-acidosis - usually only happening to people with short bowel surgery. the symptoms fit him. he improved when we stopped the probiotic.

so, yes, I am suspect to that more is not always better for particular people concerning probiotics.

ds always had a fine digestion. troubles with digestion were one symptom that something was wrong. that had cleared up and then come back after beginning the troubling probiotic, then improved once stopping it. for him, he also had intense symptoms of fogginess, lack of cooperation, etc.