ACN Latitudes Forums

Throat problems, hoarse!

No the reflux meds never helped. And I saw in my records spanning back to when I was 12, I had tried them many many times without any symptom relief. My throat is still really bad so I don't know if it's too soon to tell anything. It's back to being horrible today, just seemed slightly better yesterday. Here's what I found up to 16: "Age 16 - tired all the time........throat problems and post nasal problems persist. Records of me trialing: nexium and pepcid, tons of nasal sprays, claritin and benadryl, and prednisone (briefly) without any symptom relief."

I still think with all the evidence of my tonsils and problems from when I was 5, my tonsils need to be taken out immediately, they should have been taken out a long long time ago.

Have not received the results back from stool test, but I will certainly post any findings.

If anyone has any ideas with the history I posted above in relation to pandas / immune mediated ocd, please let me know. Thanks.

Cryptic tonsils could be harboring infection. That possible lingering infection that doesn't culture could explain some of the symptoms.

Could they have been harboring infection since I was 5 years of age ? (27 now) Records show that's when I started having problems with them at 5 and started getting strep at age 8.

I feel like the throat - tonsil stuff was the beginning of EVERYTHING, like an initial insult to my immune system. Obviously it is well out of my knowledge but that is where-in all the problems started.

Now it sounds more like post nasal drip irritating your throat. I thought initially you said it was more from reflux. If reflux meds didn't help then its probably coming from somewhere else.

Are you having your tonsils taken out? If so I recommend you find a way to control the post nasal drip first. Words can not describe the excruciating pain my DS is in. We are on day 9 post tonsillectomy. If she had post nasal drip it would be like pouring acid in here open wounds.

Have you seem an allergist? It could be an environmental allerergy or food related.

Have abx helped? I'm no expert but the only association I know of with the throat and PANDAS is strep. However, if you are on abx its difficult to get a positive culture.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

In my initial post: "The doctor I saw wants to take out tonsils b/c they are so inflamed BUT he said first we'll try acid reflux treatment." and "We tried nasal spray for constant post nasal drip (it's an antihistamine) and over time it was drugging me really badly as well so I had to quit."

Also from the history I typed out:

"Age 16 - tired all the time........throat problems and post nasal problems persist. Records of me trialing: nexium and pepcid, tons of nasal sprays, claritin and benadryl, and prednisone briefly without any symptom relief. " - I worked with an allergist through-out my high school years.

In the end, they have no idea what is causing the drip, which is why we were trialing reflux medication. ENT says infected tonsils can.

I guess I'll post an update after the tonsillectomy.

Thanks for feedback.

Unfortunately, the science behind allergies hasn't progressed much over the years. Many times you will never find the source if the allergic reaction if it iisn't an IgE response. My child suffered from life threatening non IgE mediated allergies. We were fortunate that we were able to figure them out through an elimination diet and there were no environmental allergies. However, symptoms that affect the respiratory system most often ARE IgE mediated. If it were me, I would continue to try to figure out if there is an environmental or food allergy at play. You can do blood work, skin prick and patch testing to evaluate. If you really want to be sure its reflux you could get a PH Probe test where they can actually measure the amount of acidity and reflux in your system. That way you would know for sure what was causing your symptoms and you would have a better idea if how to treat.

Best of luck with your tonsillectomy.

By the way here's a great articak that addresses post nasal drip http://www.entnet.org/healthinformation/postnasaldrip.cfmy thought is this ... If it is truly post nasal drip that is causing your tonsilitis ) simply swelling of the tonsils) you will not be solving the overall problem by just removing your tonsils. True, some of your suffering will be minimized, but the post nasal drip will continue to eat away at the back of your throat.

• 3 months later...

If have to look it up bit I recall it being a combo of two or three abx and an ulcer medication (to stop the bleeding) along with proton pump inhibitors and Zantac. My son was two When he had it and was on 7 meds at the time. You do have to recheck the stool for it after the treatment to make sure it was irradiated.