ACN Latitudes Forums

Gluten Free and Tics

Thank you all so much for the responses. I have been doing no nitrates, no dyes, no preservatives and only organic for some time. Recently we tried gluten free but we didn't last. My son is already very picky and underweight and this just made it worse for him and I felt it stressed him out more and in addition he can't afford to loose weight. I do gave Magnesium and tons of vitamins packed with Bs.

We have had him allergy tested and celiac tested often, he is allergic to soy and fish.

I bought tic tamer too, and tried just about everything. He was in a what I call remission for about a year but then they came back full force and its just been hard, I think more so for me then him. He has had them since he was 2 and he just turned 7. Thinking about everything and sending good thoughts....I wish I could come up with a magic potion to take them away.

Jet mom ( couldn't) remember the rest of your user name. Do not give up my ds was 7 when this all started so their is definitely hope. Did you do a food sensitivity test? You are are way ahead with eliminating all these things which I didn't do till after the fact. All those things are bad in general and you are starting off great! Yes stress will make it worse. Think of me with eliminating 20 something things when my dear boy was 7 yes it was hard and very stressful for him but I think if you stick with what you know and have the whole family be involved eventually it helps him. It takes a long time depending on his allergens and food sensitivities ( in our case) to see a difference. Sugar I remember was just not good. But it takes years and you deal with the tics as best you can . I am not sure which ones your dealing with but it takes time. My ds at that age was mainly red lips and eye blinking and we found ways to help. Pm me or let me know if you have any questions. Ds is now 11. It does get better!

Mar

• 10 years later...
On 9/20/2013 at 8:32 AM, mar said:

Yes sugar is the hardest! It is in everything and there is no way to eliminate 100 percent . With ds he had so many allergens at the point of being 7 . You are doing a great job and don't stop bc it does not happen overnight or in a month this was a long process that is still continuing 4 years later. Sugar is just bad but always remember one does not expect miracles. We did a whole allimination of eggs,gluten, yeast, peanuts , peas, milk, and pretty much 20 more things he was sensitive to bc of skin pricks and igg results. I know he had candida. The tics came and gone throughout the years but defiantly don't last as long, he had eye blinking which I haven't seen in three years and eye rolling which is once again could never complain of and shoulder shrugging which is after several years of diet that comes at times of stress but goes away within weeks . He is in baseball and basketball and I think it is totally stress related. Also let me say during that time he tested for all outdoor allergens. Mold, grass, ragweed,pollen all were real high and told at seven that he is ashma prone. I had doctors telling me he will have ashma and others trying to have me put him him on singular for 3 months and I was not okay with it. I just felt like this is not okay. We started total diet allimination with was very hard!!!! But ds is now 11 and no ashma which freaked me out and tics and overall health is so much better. Ds does not as has not taken any allergy pills in4 years .we tried it for several weeks with Claritin for his congestion in the beginning and it didn't work. We tried zantrace and no help. Diet helped him tremendously! Ds did loss weight and has a hard time gaining weight bc of his chance with eating! I learned to not worry he is 11 now and 5 foot 4 and weights 91 pounds . It took him a long time to gain weight but I know it's due to what he eats. He lost like 4 pounds due to his restrictions and had to gain that back and then some. To answer your question about giving in at a party. Yes in the beginning I let him have a plush horse cake slice at a party bc I was thinking really he always had this but did see the side effects . When you have been doing this for a while even a month you will see if it affects him and then you go from there. Back in the days it did set him off and made a difference but today he has cheese products and soy products and as long as he limits it he is good. I think with the whole plush horse cake he was just truly messed up with yeast bc I remember him looking At me and saying he does not remember anything and he seamed really confused and to the verge of crying. Since ds does not get the true life threating episodes it is amazing how things show up with behavior or congestion in his case or tics. Weeks or months will not give you the results for a quick fix. Four years later if he over does a certain food it will cause congestion which can lead to tics but he is doing awesome and he knows and listens to me with things that could set him off. He is in 6th grade and is doing great! I have learned that tics will not distroy my child! He does have symptoms off add and went throughout so much with diet and I actually know that he is stronger then me!!!! Don't give up bc you will eventually see a difference . Trier and error will teach you many things. Every child is different and you will learn if you continue.

@mar your msg gives me hope! Thanks for all the inputs and such detailing. 🙏