ACN Latitudes Forums

Nac/GABA

My daughter had a pretty great response to GABA. I think we have always known that she has a glutamate / GABA imbalance and so I went on the recommendations of Yasko (don't always follow her protocols) and started with 500mg once a day and now she takes it twice daily. Most likely she could handle it three times daily but we are working with blocking cytokines at the advice of our LLMD, so not changing anything else right now. GABA definitely helped with aggitation / anger issues though.

Dedee

But can I add more even if he's taking depakote and gabipentin. ?

JAG - you had me ready to grab my credit card and call 1-800-get-gaba - until the end of your story. You know I'll be following your story closely! What dose of Gaba? Would a lesser dose, or a split dose given more often, be worth trying? Fingers crossed for you - and keep me posted!

We've cut the GABA dose more than half: 500mg in the morning and 500 in the evening. This may be the sweet spot as her math scores have risen back up to 44 as of today. Now I've got a bottle of 750's to get rid of, so I'm trying them in the evening.

No specific brand, just GABA only and not a combo. I should also mention that after those 3 days where she was exhibiting reciprocal cognitive skills, she started getting bad headaches as well. Always helps when there are physical signs to gauge too. I cut back to 750mg twice daily and the headaches were less intense, but still present. 500mg was where the headaches were no longer present and the math is roaring back. So interesting, isn't it?

When I met with my 3 SLP colleagues for in-service last week, one had read Brain on Fire. I let her speak. She was pondering how many of our students could be impacted medically with cognitive symptoms. She said we really need a medical practioner in the schools to get at some of these underlying issues. I chimed in. One of our other colleagues has a nephew who has significant autism. We went to the PSU autism conference together this summer, 3 days sharing a hotel room, so she knows me better. She said after our time together, she asked her sister if her son was better with a fever and the sister said absolutely! They have a deep well of resources but never knew about or considered biomed before....they are now. Can you imagine if there was a Dr. O in every school district as part of the IEP team?????