ACN Latitudes Forums

Does Buster read here anymore? Look at this!

For those of you wanting to check your 23andMe raw data, these are the snp IDs

TNF - 308 is rs1800629 with the wild type/ancestoral allele of G and the risk allele of A (so if you have GG this snp is normal, if you have AA you're homozygous +/+) Per snpedia, The (A) allele is associated with higher levels of TNF expression. This SNP has been linked to a wide variety of conditions: asthma, COPD, Crohn's, Grave's, heart disease, leprosy and lymphoma. http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1800629

TNF -850 is rs1799724 with the wild type allele of C and the risk allele of T. It is linked to an increased risk of alzheimer's, glaucoma, and other illnesses. http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1799724 but the research paper didn't find a link between Pandas and this snp.

Edited by LLM

Yeah, read the whole thing....it was a bit like giving birth....for a laywoman, such as myself, I was excited to take away the understanding that they have found a gene mutation that can be linked to Pandas....86.5% in Pandas group and none in the control group.....just think what that could mean!!! A blood test down the road that proves that we are not crazy!!! Insurance coverage!!!!

This article is amazing!!!! How can we thank these people, what an amazing group of researchers!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Must admit, I understand little of this or the implications--We need a Buster interpretation, as to the ramifications of this research for our children and treatment!!!!!

Great find Peglam!

Thanks for posting. It's a very small study, and very specific to strep, and Turkey, but exciting to see they are looking at this in our kids. I guess Turkey has a lot of untreated strep, (according to the article) and maybe a genetic variation in their population (my interpretation if the data- since only done on Turks).

Go to the SNPepedia page LLM references above (thanks LLM!)- having the AA allele is associated with a number of risk factors, as well as even some benefits(lowered risk if MS)

And- if you read the psoriasis summary- if you have the AA allele and you're polish you have increases risk, but if you have the allele and you're Irish, decreased risk.

My pandas son does not have the AA allele. Our whole family is GG.

Having the gene may put you at higher risk for getting pandas ( especially if you are Turkish, and have strep as trigger) - but it's just a risk factor. This looks like somewhat common. It isn't one of those gene mutations that mean you definitely have or will get a disease, for those of you reading that haven't done any genetic testing/research.

Great find. We're getting there!

It would be great if those who have done the 23andme would post if their PANDAS kid is AA, AG, or GG. Norcalmom is correct that these results may apply those of Turkish decent, not necessarily everyone. So, it would be super interesting to see what folks here are getting.

Great find Peglam!

Thanks for posting. It's a very small study, and very specific to strep, and Turkey, but exciting to see they are looking at this in our kids. I guess Turkey has a lot of untreated strep, (according to the article) and maybe a genetic variation in their population (my interpretation if the data- since only done on Turks).

Go to the SNPepedia page LLM references above (thanks LLM!)- having the AA allele is associated with a number of risk factors, as well as even some benefits(lowered risk if MS)

And- if you read the psoriasis summary- if you have the AA allele and you're polish you have increases risk, but if you have the allele and you're Irish, decreased risk.

My pandas son does not have the AA allele. Our whole family is GG.

Having the gene may put you at higher risk for getting pandas ( especially if you are Turkish, and have strep as trigger) - but it's just a risk factor. This looks like somewhat common. It isn't one of those gene mutations that mean you definitely have or will get a disease, for those of you reading that haven't done any genetic testing/research.

Great find. We're getting there!

Not my find- A Canadian parent posted it to our local group. Are these the same researchers that did the young adult PANDAS IVIG case studies?

Edited by peglem