ACN Latitudes Forums

Using 23andMe data for methylation guidance

LNN

• 2 weeks later...

Its been quite a while since I posted - I had been asking questions about the Molybdenum containing ammonia and possibly causing the circles under my (now) 4 year old's eyes and increased irritability. Well I decided I needed to know what was happening inside his body before trying any more supplements, including the ones for the MTHFR his Neurologist prescribed. (Below are his mutations again).

I did the metals hair analysis test from http://pyroluriatesting.com/ - it was $85.00. I also asked his Dr. to test his ammonia levels when they took his last round of bloodwork. His ammonia levels tested just above the normal range...not too much higher though. His hair analysis sulfur levels actually came back pretty normal - on the low end! Strange considering the urine test strips (which are super high to read) seem to show it being high.

But most interesting, his copper level is OFF THE CHARTS high! Normal is 11-18 and his is 69! And his Zinc is low. Normal is 100-190 and his is 51. I have been reading a little about it and it seems this could be a huge finding for him! Check it out: http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

"Dr. Paul Eck called copper the “emotional mineral”. We have seen improvement in 20 or 30 different mental and emotional conditions ranging from moderate to suicidal depression and anxiety to violence, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, phobias, Tourette’s syndrome and schizophrenia. Others that respond amazingly well to balancing copper include epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, autism, delayed mental or emotional development and many others. Panic attacks, migraines, spaciness, brain fog, mind racing, insomnia, nervousness, irritability and others also often involve copper."

My son has displayed pretty much every "emotional condition" listed above - anxiety, violence, OCD, bipolar, phobias, Tourettes, and schizophrenia (hearing voices).
Since there are so many things he has that need to be addressed, I've decided to take him to a Dr. who can help me put it all together and get him on a vitamin treatment plan. I am thinking Mensah Medical. I also did the Kryptopyrrole test and am just waiting for the results.

Also, his blood test results came back - he was tested for Strep, Lyme, Mycoplasma Pneumonia, EBV, Cocci, Coxsackie, West Nile, and HHV6. The only thing that came back high was HHV6 (Roseola) which is interesting because 2 weeks into this whole PANS nightmare when it all began 1.5 years ago, he had Roseola. Waiting to hear from his Dr to see if she wants to address it.

Thanks all for your advice and to whoever said perhaps it was "copper dumping". It looks like you were right!

Homozygous:

• VDR Taq
  • MAO-A R297R
  • CBS A360A

Heterozygous:

• COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
  • ACAT1-02
  • MTR A2756G
  • MTRR A66G
  • MTRR A664A
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-04
  • BHMT-08
  • MTHFR C677T
  • MTHFR 03 P39P
  • MTHFR
Edited by TinyTreasures

I am finding that my son has major copper issues as shown by blood tests. Am in the middle of investigating it. Should know more soon.

If anyone has labs that show ceruloplasmin, serum copper and serum zinc, please post them and/or pm me the results. I bet there's more of us out there. The values can be normal. It is their relationship to each other that is the problem.

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know to determine if there is a SUOX mutation from the 23andme data? I ran it through Genetic Genie and there is no mention of SUOX. When I did a search for SUOX on the 23andme raw data I get this :

(oops, I tried to copy the result, but it came up a mess when I posted it here. It gives 3 SNPs and kiddo's genotypes.)

Can I figure anything out from this raw data? I'm stumped.

Here are PANDAS DS's mutations:

Homozygous:

• COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H

Heterozygous:

• VDR Bsm
  • VDR Taq
  • MTRR H595Y
  • MTRR K350A
  • MTRR A664A
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-04
  • BHMT-08
  • AHCY-01
  • AHCY-02
  • AHCY-19
  • CBS A360A
  • SHMT1 C1420T

And MTHFR A1298C

Edited by momcap

Where to find SUOX on 23andme?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Ema, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Ema Senior Moderator

Hello -
    Does anyone know where to find the SUOX information on the 23andme raw data? What should I be looking for to know if I have this mutation?

Thanks,
    Ema

2. merylg Senior Member

Hi Ema,
    23andMe and Yasko test different snps for SUOX. Yasko looks at SUOX snp (variation) S370S. 23andMe does not test this one.

http://www.holisticheal.com/media/downloads/guide-to-nutrigenomic-testing.pdf and here is a link to a sample "Methylation Pathway Analysis"
    http://www.holisticheal.com/media/downloads/john-doe-mpa-sample.pdf however, in the example given, the person has no mutation for SUOX.

To see the SUOX snps that 23andMe tests, go to Account (top right hand corner), select from drop down menu "Browse Raw Data", type SUOX in the box labelled "gene". Three snps come up in my case.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/where-to-find-suox-on-23andme.20142/

I hope this helps.

Edited by rowingmom

• 1 month later...

Hello.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it. My PANDAS daughter and I (celiac and autoimmunity) now have our results back from 23andME, and Genetic Genie, but very confused about what to do. Surprisingly we had no MTHFR mutations, but did have lots of others. Am specifically worried about an upcoming surgery I need, and I don't do well with anesthesia. It messes with my memory-specifically word retrieval, and even remembering details of events or conversations just had is still an issue 6 mos. out. Here are my mutations:

homozygous mutations:

MAO-A R297R

MTRR A66G

BHMT-02

BHMT-04

BHMT-08

heterozygous mutations:

COMT

V158M

COMT

H62H

VDR Bsm

VDR Taq

AHCY-01

AHCY-02

AHCY-19

CBS A360A

If anyone can shed some light on what I should do about this from a supplement standpoint and what it means it would be greatly appreciated.

elvis

this article might be about the same issues that you might have. i got it from MTHFR support group -- <carla@mthfrsupport.com>

COMT (Catechol-O-methyltransferase )

Many of you want to know what COMT is and how it can impact MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase). From my own personal experience I will explain how it has impacted my life and what I have learned from many of the practitioners at MTHFR Support. I will also give you a simplified explanation of how it works.

COMT V158M and COMT H62H are related to dopamine, epinephrine, norepinephrine and estrogen dominance. When these COMT’s are expressing we will have trouble breaking down the catecholamines dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine and the hormone estrogen. COMT is related to anxiety attacks, panic disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD and hormone related cancers.

So how will this affect people who are treating MTHFR with 5-methyltetrahydrofolate? When COMT is expressing and we take high doses of methyl donors, we can increase anxiety. So many of us need lower doses of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and we try to get most of our folate out of leafy greens, beans, eggs and berries. Now remember just because you have COMT does not mean that it is expressing. This is very important to get a healthcare professional who understands nutrigenomics and methylation to determine if COMT is expressing.

When treating MTRR, TCN and FUT2 with B-12 and COMT is expressing, methylcobalamin may not be the best choice. I had the pleasure of attending one of Dr. Richard Deth’s presentations at Autism One this year and learned that it is normal for COMT’s to be methyl B-12 deficient. There are other forms of B-12 that practitioners are using to treat people who have COMT. Some use hydroxy B-12, others use adenosylcobalamin and some use a combination. Just because you have COMT please do not get off of you methylcobalamin without first talking to your practitioner.

I experienced the expression of COMT back in 1994 when I took an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) for PMS. I went into anaphylactic shock and had to be resuscitated. I was given epinephrine, Benadryl and prednisone. Six hours after lying in the ER, the doctors felt it was time to release me. I complained about rapid heartbeat and nervousness. I was told this was normal after getting epinephrine, to go home and that it would wear off in a few days.

A few weeks passed and I did not get better. I actually got worse. My heart would be racing so rapidly that when someone was speaking to me, all I could see was their mouth moving and all I was hearing was my heartbeat in my ears. My eyes would roll in the back of my head, I would foam at the mouth and fall to the floor with what looked like a seizure.

After multiple ER and doctor visits I was diagnosed with PTSD and one of the worse cases of panic disorder they had ever seen. I explained to them that this did not happen until after I was given the epinephrine. They did not want to hear this. I was put on an antidepressant and benzodiazepines that took me nearly 2 years to come off of.

Sadly if doctors knew that someone homozygous COMT V158M and H62H cannot break down catecholamine’s well at all, they would have taken a different approach. Maybe some IV NAD. Many people have asked me if I was to go into anaphylactic shock again, would I use epinephrine to save my life? I always say yes. There are ways to break it down naturally with niacin rich foods, NAD therapy and also avoiding caffeinated and dopamine rich foods.

COMT does express in me so I test my neurotransmitters frequently. I avoid black tea, green tea, white tea, coffee and dopamine rich foods. I eat niacin rich foods and I also eat chicken and turkey which contain tryptophan and converts into niacin in the liver to help take the edge off. I have also found that living a simple life and surrounding myself with nature helps. Meditation is something I do daily. Sitting in an empty room and just clearing my mind helps so much. Always remember one man’s food can be another man’s poison.

Elvis,

Your best bet is to start with the directions on pg 1 of this thread. Use the heartfixer as your guide on which supplements to use or avoid. I know it feels very confusing at first, but because you know your specific issues, certain things will "speak" to you and others won't. You don't have to follow this to the letter. Let common sense and practicality and your own budget and taste buds be your guide. I for one could never follow the restrictions outlined for my own mutations. I do the best I can. As Qannie posted elsewhere today, the good news is that when you screw up, it's rarely fatal. :D Start low dose, increase slowly over many weeks. Let how you feel be your guide. Start with CBS first.

Thank you PR40 and LLM for your helpful replies. I have found a practitioner that is going to help me get through the methylation info and guide me on supplements. Despite reading heart fixer several times, I am still confused. There are too many if this, then that, but nothing that matches mine exactly.

So interesting to find the connection ons between Pandas, methylation, and gut issues. This forum is awesome!