ACN Latitudes Forums

Rheumatologist visit and confused

PIK

I would stay on the treatment dose until you can get in to see Dr. B. and then see what he says. It is unfortunate that we sometimes have to take things into our own hands. I have had to treat my kids via the back door method until I could get in to see the appropriate physician. I wouldn't have a long term plan without a physician in the mix though. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Dedee

Edited by Dedee

2 years ago - penicillin VK worked very well at reducing my daughter's symptoms (bartonella pain, ticcing, raging, PANDAS) the first time she was diagnosed with strep. All symptoms cleared up for the ten days she was taking it. She was a new child. However, all symptoms (including sore throat) returned after the abx were discontinued.

I managed to get another prescription in case the second swab was positive (which it wasn't), and gave it to her anyway. Again all symptoms disappeared, however this time they returned while she was still being dosed. Only multiple combination abx protocols were successful for us.

I would increase your pen vk dose to four times a day ( 500 mg every six hours) to begin with and if you think it could be glomerulonephritis consider adding another antibiotic from another class ( azithromycin or cefdinir). I agree with once a day penicillin not being enough bc of the short half life. Twice a day would be much better.

Colleen

• 11 months later...

Hello - I'm curious to see if our DS might have rheumatic-related problems that could explain his tics that dont seem to be affected by abx (7 months now)..

Can someone call out what tests and from which labs are best to check for "rheumatic fever of the brain"/

Thanks!