ACN Latitudes Forums

Need help regarding school

Lee101

I am feeling extremely frustrated at the moment. Just because my daughters tics are quite minimal at the moment her teachers seem to think all is well. I am trying to make them understand that there are so many other area that effect her, as we all know, and that these can be more debilitating then the tics themselves. Would anyone know of any links, books or info that I could access to show the school? I am fighting for an ISA for her at the moment. She fits the criteria, has the diagnosis of ts, recommendations from OT's and phsyciatrist, yet because she is not disruptive( opposit actually as she goes into shut down mode at school due to sensory issues) I feel they don't think it's a priority. Any help would be wonderful :)

Thanks Lee

Hi

The Tourette Syndrome Association has excellent info to help get the accommodations needed, and they can also help you with advocacy for your child.

As TS is classified as a disability in education under the Americans With Disabilties Act ...your daughter is entitled to the accommodations...it is not an optional choice for the school to grant them...they *have to* by law

here is the TSA website where you can read up on all the education info, and it also has a phone number that you can call

http://www.tsa-usa.org

here is the education section http://tsa-usa.org/aeduc_advoc/education_main.htm

Thanks Chamar, will go over the info:). Unfortunately we are in Darwin Australia. It is a small place and knowledge and recorcess are limited ( trust me, I've been looking!). T.S is also on he school listing for learners support. I have been pushing for help since the end of first term, yet other students without diagnosis of any kind have gained an ISA. I know this as I myself am an ISA at the school. It is soooooo damned infuriating to watch. They tell me it depends on funding, not for this year but next!! I just want t o make them see what it's really like. I've researched, given information. I actually broke down at work today in front of another staff member because I'm at such a loss at what I can do next. Apologies for the vent, I just want the best for my daughter and with every thing I do....it's getting me nowhere fast.

The Australian website has a great you tube video link too for teachers to watch and explains how it affects learning, concentration etc

Have you seen that one on the TSAA website? You can also order pamphlets, books and other things from them too.

I would be raising until they do what they are supposed to be doing, Can you take it higher in the education system to get things moving?

Good luck

Actually had a look at the video link yesterday! Am going to have a sit down with the principal about it all, make ( not suggest ) my daughters teachers watch it. Also putting together a folder of info with highlighted suggestion on ways to help and learning areas that are of concern.

What is the school system like in QLD? Did you encounter many issues?

Am grateful for your help. It's nice to know we're not alone:)

To be honest i haven't gone to the school principal where my son goes, He started there at easter time and had some vocals still so his teacher (She was and is awesome about it all) knows but i feel very blessed that he has no other issues besides mild anxiety that mostly relates to being in the dark/alone and animals so doesn't affect his schooling, He loves school and is doing very well.

I must take the neurologist letter to the pricipal and have a chat with him because i do want to make sure all the teachers know about TS incase my son doesn't have continued improvement. I've been slack!

Sorry i can't help out with actual experience wise. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack though, Best of luck and hope your daughter gets the understanding she deserves :)