ACN Latitudes Forums

Gotta share

I have a couple topics up about elevated titers and annual early Aug strep, but have to share good news that has me floating on a cloud.....

My dd13 is at sleep away camp for the first time for 3 weeks, which is a miracle,I never could have imagined a few short years ago. For those of you who don't know the sleep away camp drill, no cell phones, only letters and my darling is not a fan of the written word. I did get a letter from her counselor that pointed out she is their model camper for tick protection which made me lol. These camps have photographers that post hundreds of pictures daily and that is your view into their world. Besides the posed cabin/group shots, my girl has been scarce!

I've been writing her daily to try new things... Today I was elated to see pictures of my girl on a ZIPLINE!!!!! There were pictures of her climbing this tree that seemed to go up to the clouds, one with a big smile and green paint on her face from color day looking down over the platform and zoooooommmminnnnng down the ZIPLINE!!

I'm so proud of her!!! I can only imagine the anxiety she had to overcome; she's very cautious, hates rollercoasters. God bless her soul! YAY!

Hi Jag, been hanging around this forum with you for a while now. We have always seemed to be in similar circumstances with our kids...

DS13 just got back from a week of camp and did great (probably the only kid that packed 20 pairs of underwear and smuggled in a few rolls of toilet paper ... In case the camp ran out). BUT went and WANTED to go. I was a nervous wreck that whole week so you are braver than me doing 3!! It's been a long road....so happy for you both!

Linda

Edited by 3boysmom

DS17 just got back from 3 weeks of camp in South Dakota, a long and anxious (for me) way from NY. Usually when he is away for this long, the first week we get no communication except terse texts like, "Yes, I'm having fun. I can't talk, I'm busy." By the end of the 2nd week we start to see increasingly more complaints about others at the camp and by week three it is usually that he has some horrible malady (usually yeast related due to excessive ice cream consumption.) But this year it was different. Weekends were spent at a working, organic/holistic farm where he helped walk the goats (not clear exactly, but I'm just the reporter) and made scrambled eggs with eggs "right out from under the chicken's butt". DS (and his Mom) are city persons and DS has never lived anywhere out of the sound of the subway, so I think it was a revelation for him about other ways of living and other kinds of success. In any case, my point is that even though it is anxiety producing to send them away, they often come back with really good insights and helpful new experiences (and yeast infections!)

So awesome to hear the great news!

How can having significant pandas not impact your confidence? And with separation anxiety as a hallmark symptom, I thought it was very important she prove to herself that within her is self-reliance and perseverance. My daughter has some girl (drama) anxiety as well. Her closest friends are males. This camp is all girls and I chose it on purpose. While I think the girl anxiety is well founded and has served as a protective mechanism for when things were bad, she cannot and should not completely avoid female friendship. She needed to be in an environment where she was "forced" to give girl friendship more of a chance than she was at school. She's an 8th grader now. Most of her peers will be going to single sex Catholic high schools. It's a decision we will have to make together, but I wanted her to give an all girl environment an honest try to give her more perspective as we make this important decision. So many, many benefits to this summer adventure.

Right out from under the chicken's butt- I LOVE THAT!!!!!