ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep again after 10 days?!

DS15 is in the hospital receiving PEX. This morning Non-PANDAS DS13 woke with slight fever ans feeling sick. Strep tested him at home with rapid strep test and it was positive. Tested myself and DD10, I was negative. DD had a super slight pink and no symptoms (she usually has classic strep symptoms, vomiting, fever, headache). Our doctor is giving us 14 days of duracef for both kids.

Here is my issue: DS13 had strep last Monday 7/22 and took a zpack. DD10 had strep last Wednesday 7/24 and took a zpack.

Did the zpack not work?? Is one of us a carrier?

Why does DD have a very slight pink line and no symptoms?

Ending an already stressful week with a bang!!

TIA,

T.Anna

Not sure about Duracef,

Our PANDAS doctor frequently gives Clindamycin a shot for strep. I think it has been very helpful. I believe - whether truly resistant or just stubborn, there are variation in GAS that are much more susceptible to clindamycin. Would someone be willing to try clindamycin for them?

Make sure to take those kids back for rechecks post abx (maybe again another week or two out!)

I know this is bad timing, but don't be too devastated- getting pex is awesome & remember sometimes it takes a few weeks to notice anything!

I have come to always retest after abx for strep. My kiddo had it Jan 2012 for almost 60 days before it finally cleared. Ten days of amox, Ten days of augmentin, and 40 days of HD zithromax before it finally resolved. It seems with our kiddos, we cannot assume it cleared.

Glad to hear you got your DS into the hospital. Good luck.

Thanks. Just had my throat cultured at the hospital and DH is getting tested now too.

I have been negligent with follow up and I will make sure that we keep checking until it's clear. I feel awful when I think about how DS13 has been working his butt off at camp, all the while having Strep.

Thanks again,

T.Anna

Edited by T.Anna

My non pandas son tested positive with slight pink line for strep had no symptoms and retesting the next day showed negative. No abx given at all. Pandas ds12 came down with strep the same day. Not sure how to treat carrier son, if at all. Any thoughts?

T.Anna-

I am sorry for your frustration...I totally get it! I am wondering if you would mind sharing with me what brand home strep kit you ordered?? I have one that has never shown positive, yet kids have been positive at doctor. Also, it will go to positive if it sits too long......anyhow, I really need to order a new kit, as our insurance deductible is $6000 and I am paying over $100 each time I take one of my 4 kids in for strep tests!!

Sorry to jump in on this post......I really do "get it" as we have had VERY similar situations.

Thanks!

I buy the Quidel brand I have both the dipstick and in-line. Lately, I've been using the dipstick type.

They are just as accurate (or inaccurate) as ones at the doctor's office. The most reliable is the culture they send out.

We have A LOT of strep in my kids' school and a friend of mine brought a test over when my daughter didn't feel well one day.

I buy them on amazon.

T.Anna

DS 15