ACN Latitudes Forums

ifran - and others regarding 23andMe results

MAO-A preferentially deaminates norepinephrine (noradrenaline), epinephrine (adrenaline), serotonin, and dopamine (dopamine is equally deaminated by MAO-A and MAO-B. (wiki) So Yasko is right (obviously) but it also plays a role in how quickly or slowly you degrade dopamine. The document I rely on (http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#VDR%20Taq:%20%20Vitamin%20D%20Receptor%20Taq%20Abnormality) focuses more on the dopamine aspect so that's where my head was at when I replied to T Anna.

I'm confused by the Yasko quote - she says in the first breath that COMT+ and VDR Taq + contribute to lower dopamine yet the next sentence talks about how COMT + mutations inactivate (i.e. degrade) dopamine to a lesser (slower) extent. In my mind, if you're inactivating dopamine at a lesser rate, you're going to have more dopamine floating around, not less. Heartfixer says COMT + leads to higher dopamine, not lower, unless I'm totally reading it wrong.

So I get how being VDR Taq + (which would slow down your ability to turn Vitamin D into dopamine) leads to lower dopamine. That's why I wrote that T Anna's son should be able to tolerate Vitamin D supplements but because he's hetero, and has other mutations that also factor into the equation, it may require some trial and error.

But you've lost me with the quote that says COMT+ contributes to lower dopamine.

It gets very confusing and there are so few doctors who really know enough to guide us. I think to a certain extent, you need to read everything thru the filter of knowing your child's personality and making gut decisions on whether he needs more or less methyl donors and/or dopamine precursors and then do some trial and error.

No matter how much I study this, if I walk away from it for any length of time, I get confused again. If the two Yasko statements make sense to you and aren't contradictory, please help me get it clear. Because it doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by LLM

LLM - THAT'S the problem!! I'm not understanding it either! I just quoted her book in hopes it would make sense to someone. I keep thinking I'm "getting it", but the more I read the more confused I am. The "inactivating dopamine" comment had me thrown as well... glad I'm not the only one.

If I have time later, I'll try and get on her forum and ask, but right now I think I'll step away from this before my head explodes. :) I wish more of the medical community would look into this - I really think the mutations explain a lot of problems - but I can't wrap my head around it all.

I am also an avid reader of Yasko, but still tend to "do my own thing". I find contradictory advice when it comes to treating the mutations and treating my dd illness. For instance with her CBS mutation we are told to limit animal protien. But when reading the Buhner book on treating Lyme Co Infections I am to understand that animal protien is a very important part of her diet for healing. Also, several supplements that my daughter should avoid due to mutations (according to Yasko), her body really needs to heal bartonella. So I try to strike a balance and use what works, mostly through trial and error.

Dedee