ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics when sick

Ok so i jinxed us by saying the other day that DS has hardly been sick since January, The last time he had flu like symptoms which was months back was after i started anti fungal so i think that was die off.

Yesterday arvo he started with a cough and has a sniffly nose, He says he has a bit of a headache and is a bit off his food. His throat does look a bit red too. Both my kids have huge tonsills.

He's got some vocals back now since yesterday afternoon, Not constant just every now and then. A bit of a giggle/laugh the 'AH' one is back and variations of it and some other noises.

Would it most likely be because he his feeling a bit off? and do your kids tics usually go back down to their base level once they are feeling better. He insisted on going to school! I wanted him to stay home and rest.

It also didn't help that yesterday a child in his class had a birthday so there were cupcakes :/ today i've taken a homemade gluten and dairy free cupcake for him to have as there is another birthday!

Edited by logismum

If his throat is red, it may really be a good idea to have a strep swab plus a culture done?

Many kids have their tics and other symptoms ramp up when ill, though we have had some unusual anecdotal reports here of some kids whose tics actually reduce, especially when running fevers! For PANS kids, illness can really ramp up their symptoms!!

There are assorted theories on why tics may increase with illness...most of them suggesting some immune system trigger.

Hope your son gets over the illness quickly. Personally, I think kids should stay home from school when ill...not just to help them recover better but also not to spread those germies around to the other kids (and the teachers) ;)

Unfortunately i have no dr locally that could send us to get a strep swab, At least i don't think they would, Our enviro dr is 8hrs+ drive away. Is it all done the same in australia at places where you just go for blood tests etc? When he had his strep tilters done that was part of his blood test, Is that something different?

He doesn't have a fever just general cold symptoms. It's our winter here so every second kids is coughing and has a runny nose unfortunately but i do agree sick kids should stay home i shouldn't have let him convince met to go, he just loves school soooo much!

A strep swab and culture is a very standard procedure that can usually be done direct in any doctor's office. They just swab the back of the throat and then do a rapid test to check for strep, and also a petri dish is coated for culture.

This is not even directly related to PANDAS or PANS...just a standard test for strep throat.

Ok yep now i understand, Thanks.

I worked out why he had a headache and didn't want to eat, He has had a back bottom molar cut through the last few days. He says it hurts to eat not his throat that is sore. He's terrible at telling me when he isn't feeling the best because he never wants to miss out on anything, Kids hey!!

and it would seem that now it's broken through the skin his tics have gone down some, They didn't raise all that much in comparison to when his tics were full on but because he's been almost non existent in vocals for a bit now i probably noticed more. He hasn't lost any teeth yet so i will watch out for changes when that happens!