ACN Latitudes Forums

Practitioner stopped abx, school starting

DS's practitioner who is PANDAS knowledgable and has had him on abx since December has stopped his abx. I've been calling, emailing and leaving messages saying that I don't agree with that decision as school starts in a week and I know he'll get strep as soon as it starts. He NEEDS a good start to this year. Last year he got strep the first week of school and it just set him up for a rough year with that teacher.

I can't seem to get my call returned or emails answered and don't know what to do. We have no one else in the area that treats pandas. I'm willing to drive, but obviously can't get an appt with someone new in the next few days.

Advice? Any way to prevent an active infection

without abx? He's on vitamins b, c, d and antifungals.

What to do??

I am thinking that you have two problems here, one that you can't get in touch with your practitioner. Communication is key. Did he/ she explain the plan and why they were discontinuing abx or until "what" happens? I understand that some drs don't want to keep kids on perpetual abx if they are symptom free but one would hope it was a decision that was discussed and a backup plan would be in place. I agree making a big change like that before the start Of school is scary and risky. I would recommend you continue to try to get I. Touch with your dr. If they don't respond I myself would be considering a change in PCP.

I don't have any personal experience with this supplement, but I have heard of others using olive leaf extract as a preventative to strep when they could not get abx. I agree with you, that the dr should not stop abx at the beginning of the school year but If they absolutely refuse, I reccomend finding another doctor fairly quickly. Try explaining that anything even a prophylactic dose would be better than nothing. That is if you can ever get in touch with them. Good luck.

Both olive leaf (or, more specifically, olepeuropein, the active ingredient) and coconut oil (or, again, the active ingredient, monolaurin) are good, "natural antibiotic" alternatives. We've had our DS on them for the last 18+ months that he's been without antibiotics and, knock on wood, I do think they help. He made it through last winter with only a single cold . . . no strep, no flu, no other significant illnesses.

Try Blis K12. I take that instead of antibiotics to prevent strep. It got brilliant reviews on amazon and is documented in pubmed too.

Thanks for this tip. I ordered 2 bottles. I'm sure the whole family will like it. I also used to have her swish with plain, unsweetend yougurt at night after she brushed her teeth when she would get dry lips in the summer or small cracks in the sides - I assumed it was yeast.

We stopped antibiotics for my daughter in December because she was having stomach issues. I was considering getting some xylitol spray or gum but recently, I've had horrid stomach cramps from sugar alcohols and I guess I'm afraid she may react too because it's not an uncommon digestive irritant.