ACN Latitudes Forums

Ferritin=17. Is that considered low for our children?

Mykidz10 iron formula.

Over the counter, but maybe "behind the counter" or pharmacist msy ned to order. You can get it on amazon.

Our sleep doc says ferritin should be closer to 70-80 for sleep issues.

Maybe increasing that VERY low ferritin will bring big improvements!

Take with vitamin C , avoid calcium containing foods around time of iron.

OMG. would this be a dream come true Pow Pow! Take vitamin C at same time? I guess its for absorption, right? I have something called floradix (spelling). I was going to finish bottle first. Did your doctor recommend the Mykids10?

Edited by trintiybella

Yes. DS was 14 and then 7. He is currently on Ferrochel iron chelate 27mg by Designs for Health. Got it from biomed doc but it can be ordered online. It's a very gentle form of iron and a low dose to slowly increase ferritin levels. We retested two months after starting and DS levels are now in the low normal range. He'll be taking it at least until we get him in a good mid range. I highly recommend this form of iron. We've seen no gastric side effects and his sleep, restlessness and restless legs at night are much improved.

Have you checked for babesia? It uses iron and causes low ferritin. I think ehrlichia or anaplasma may use iron also and my son is positive for both.

Check to make sure the abx and other meds you are using are not affected by iron consumption. A few abx should not be taken with iron supps.

Iron can cause constipation, so you may need to add a stool softener in as well. A few iron supps come with a stool softener already in them. Here is a quick iron absorption article: http://www.anemia.org/patients/feature-articles/content.php?contentid=000316

Hope this brings some relief for you both!!

Edited by Mayzoo

yes, checked babesia, ehrlichia or anaplasma. negative. thanks and i will look for least constipating iron< since constipation BIG problem here! her iron has been low since i think 3, before we started down the meds> road.

are the ones that you use constipating? i give her liquid right now and concerned about teeth staining since shes not able to brush teeth most of time.

Edited by trintiybella

I guess I posted at same time as others. My dd level was low during winter months due to infections. The dr told me to supplement but I decided to wait it out and see if it corrected itself. We also deal with constant constipation. It was normal last month when we checked. But u should address it if it's been that long.

Ferrochel iron chelate is iron bisglycinate. DS tends toward constipation and we've actually not had any issues with constipation since starting it, not that I'm saying its helpful for constipation. It certainly has not caused or worsened things. In actuality, my son is better than he has been in a very long time. My sons low ferritin was low for 3 yrs and the docs we consulted said to ignore it. Our new doc thought he needed to supplement and felt we would not see problems with it and would potentially see benefit and she was right.

I've read some interesting articles about RLS and low serum ferritin- and too much iron in tissues(brain), due to abnormal iron metabolism.

My so too has low ferritin, all other blood markers normal. It's complicated to figure out if you should take iron or not, and after all the stuff I've read, I'm thinking of seeing a hematologist just to make sure giving iron is the right thing to do.

In most cases it is, but there's a lot of literature on iron and brain and immunological disorders, and since more iron in certain situations that present with low ferritin can be really bad, I'm thinking of perhaps taking one more step to rule them out before supplementing.

Just google low ferritin and brain, or autoimmune, chronic infection( that actually usually elevated ferritin- hi ferritin is marker for inflation) or , gut, or absorbtion, or gene ... for more information.