ACN Latitudes Forums

tick bite/bull's eye rash/Need an LLMD in North Carolina

Hi, All.

I have a dear friend who was just bitten by a tick, and does have the bull's eye rash. Her GP is telling her to wait and see if she experiences any symptoms. I told her that she needs to be seen by an LLMD right away.

Does anyone know of a great LLMD in the State of North Carolina. She's willing to drive far if necessary.

Thanks everyone!

That's absurd. With a bulls eye rash she should be treated right away. Have her show literature from "get it right trea the bite". Something like that - I'm away and on iPhone. She should go to a diff doc or walk in clinic until she sees an llmd. If treated early she might avoid the need for continuous abc.

ILADS can give her names of the trained LLMD's closest to her. She can email them through their web site and they are very responsive.

For now, she could print out the IDSA guidelines on treating Lyme and take them back to that doctor or to another doctor. They specifically say to treat the EM rash with 100mg doxy twice per day for 10-21 days, and give other drug options. Not that I love the idea of spreading the IDSA's misguided guidelines around, but in this case it's better than what her doctor was saying. This would protect her until she can get to an LLMD and then they can test for co-infections and make decisions about how long to continue treatment.

Here's the paper: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/43/9/1089.full See the section called "Early Lyme Disease, Erythema Migrans."

Almost any doctor should give 30 days abx, emergency room will for a bullseye. Ignoring those guidelines to treat would make the physician vulnerable to malpractice suit. I would say take photos and in this case and infectious disease doc is good enough to get the ga started

Almost any doctor should give 30 days abx, emergency room will for a bullseye. Ignoring those guidelines to treat would make the physician vulnerable to malpractice suit. I would say take photos and in this case and infectious disease doc is good enough to get the ga started

Agree, our ER gives a 21 day course of Doxy for any tick bite with bull's eye rash. And, we usually do Lyme titer. It's Western Blot (not Igenex) but I have seen plenty of WB positives in my 11 years there! I am in NC!! The literature states this is not a high Lyme area...I disagree. I had a 6 year old that had classic Lyme.

My DH had an imbedded tick a few weeks ago - I freaked out since I know first hand how much damage those little buggers can do.

We left the tick attached and I sent him off to Patient First - an urgent care clinic.

The clinic not only had the proper tick-removal tool, but they also gave my husband a prophylactic 30-day rx for doxycycline. I was impressed, to say the least.

You might refer your friend to an urgent care clinic.

According to our LLMD, the choice drug for a new tick bite is 2 Tindamax followed by 1 week of 1 Tindamax daily.