ACN Latitudes Forums

a scene from the exorcist

I think I'm going nuts too. DD's uncle was over for a few days a put notions of demonic possession into DD's mom's head. I gotta say, we had a scene last night right out of the exorcist. Mom was praying over DD during an episode. DD looked at her with sharp eyes, grabbed the standing fan and threw it at mom while shouting the "B" word. If you knew my daughter's life demeanor, you would surely say she must be possessed. I had to restrain DD for about 20 minutes of rage. ok... so now I have a headache. :wacko:

*whew*

This board is painful lately.

Okay, first of all, in a famous PANDAS/PANS presentation, done by Dr. T, a few years back, actually talks about

'exorcist rage'

This is not being literally possessed by the devil.

This is a poor, sick child, inflamed, brain on fire, in desperate need of help.

I have been here with my child. I have been alone at home, scared to my bones.

Sometimes, and this sounds crazy, it is getting on the floor, crawling over, whispering love, gentle, 'it's okay, it's okay' wrapping arms around the fighting child, kissing their head, holding close, stroking, whispering over and over love,

that has broken it- let my child release, and cry her soul out.

Breaks my heart to even write this.

I don't know your child's treatment history,

but ibuprofen around the clock, IVIG, antibiotics, lemon balm,

diet,

hang in there---------

Don't know if this helps. Sounds maybe off the wall. But the love technique, all it encompasses, has broken that rage for us more than once.

Many of us have seen this exorcist child in our homes.

I will tell you, it can get better!

after lots of time, ivig, pex, steroids, prayer, abx- for us, anyway

Keep praying, treating with a GREAT doc (& during a rage, duck!) Put away breakables, sharps and try to ignore the profanity.

Edited by PowPow

It is , "turn the other cheek", time and again...

We have had this as well, out of control raging -- and yes, it looks BAD.

Especially when they get wide eyed and start talking in a different voice, in between throwing -- screaming -- and destroying the house.

I just came back to the house to our youngest standing on one foot, staring--and doing OCD rituals in her head.

I asked her if there was anything I could get her and she lost it--screaming, swearing at me, and threw a large glass hurricane lamp on the floor--

broken glass everywhere. Funny thing is, at this point I quietly went upstairs to leave her field of vision--and now will go down to tend to the glass.

--and then it passes.

This morning, on the way to summer school and due to OCD raging she sat screaming at me from the front seat of the car, while parked in front of the house.

Screaming obscenities, again, and again, and again.....honking the horn intermittently.

This episode included me leaving the car to go back in to the house and her following me, hitting and pulling my hair...

I have spent the day on the phone trying to find someone who might help us to address these now (thankfully) more and more infrequent lingering jags of ODD behavior.

If you know of anyone in the Washington DC area please email me! THIS was not the way any of us were taught to raise our kids, and certainly the swearing is an absolute "wrong" in our family, as well as this over the top expression of aggression and anger (triggered by OCD.)

On a side note, she just poked her head in to show me her "new" dress from a shopping outing last week--(and in her mind, the incident is past now--no mention of it from either of us as that will set her off -- again.)

In our case, I can tell you that physical treatments have been a saving grace, with IVIG, antibiotics, and pheresis setting us in the right direction...though getting to wholeness each time takes time, these physical treatments have very obviously been of help to our family time and again.

I agree with PowPow's comment -- "...& during a rage, duck!" :)

ps--when not in an episode, she is the sweetest, kindest most normal child you could see--

Edited by T.Mom

*whew*

This board is painful lately.

Okay, first of all, in a famous PANDAS/PANS presentation, done by Dr. T, a few years back, actually talks about

'exorcist rage'

This is not being literally possessed by the devil.

This is a poor, sick child, inflamed, brain on fire, in desperate need of help.

I have been here with my child. I have been alone at home, scared to my bones.

Sometimes, and this sounds crazy, it is getting on the floor, crawling over, whispering love, gentle, 'it's okay, it's okay' wrapping arms around the fighting child, kissing their head, holding close, stroking, whispering over and over love,

that has broken it- let my child release, and cry her soul out.

Breaks my heart to even write this.

I don't know your child's treatment history,

but ibuprofen around the clock, IVIG, antibiotics, lemon balm,

diet,

hang in there---------

Don't know if this helps. Sounds maybe off the wall. But the love technique, all it encompasses, has broken that rage for us more than once.

Ditto. and, also please, please look for Bartonella, Babesia, and Mycoplasma Pneumonia. And, also look for mold as a possible trigger. The other 3 can cause these rages. PM me for more info if you want.

We have had the same happen here. Much improved with Motrin 2x per day. It hasn't stopped the rage but now they are just little explosions and he moves on much more easily.

I made my DS a man cave as he calls it. It's a cool down place that he agrees to go to during a rage. This would not have worked pre-Motrin as all reasoning is gone. The only thing we could do then was remove him from the situation. We could not hug him, speak to him or approach him as that would make it worse. Either walking away or removing the person / thing that set him off allowed him to cool down faster. DH would try to restrain him but that always made it worse. In my house its usually siblings. They get rewarded for walking away. At one point I was fearful I would have to call 911after 45 minutes of this. When all was done and said, Prozac was an additional culprit.

DD is sensitive to the light and noise. When I'm helping DD to self control her rage, her safe place is her bed. As soon as i see her rituals or OCD like behaviors, I encourage her to self control. Most of the time she is able to manage it in her safe place but when mom starts opening the curtains to let more light in, and then taking away her need to do her OCD, as if shes chasing bad spirts, DD puts on a more combative demeaner. Just as she does when she is more combative when restrained. I found that just blocking her from grabing and throwing or chocking and hitting herself she is way less combative and shouts it out like she is venting. I had to go through this before at the initial onset and managing got easier when DD's mom was not listening to big brother. Superstitions are easy to feed when the symptoms match. I think the undiagnosed of the past were explaintions that gave in to superstitions but i'm just guessing.