ACN Latitudes Forums

Informational meeting on Bartonella

This is the doctor who is a veterinarian by trade who has done the most research on Bartonella strains.

WEDNESDAY, July 17th, 7:00 p.m.
Bartonella - An Emerging Disease
Speaker: Dr. Edward Breitschwerdt, D.V.M.
Where: Kennett Friends Meetinghouse, 250 N. Union Street (Rt. 82), Kennett Square, PA

If you live anywhere in the area, make sure you make it to this meeting - it will be well worth it. Dr. Breitschwerdt has been studying Bartonella (a common tick-borne disease) for over 20 years and has written hundreds of papers. This is an organism that we all need to understand. Dr. Breitschwerdt calls it a plague in our society, because of its prevalence. When you read the studies, it's amazing how many healthy people have it. They stay healthy until something compromises their immune system, and all the while, they may be spreading it to other people. Free to the public. Go to lymepa.org for more information.

Thanks. Wish I lived nearby and could attend.

Buhner's Bartonella and Mycoplasma Coinfections book has a similar bent. That both of these infections are actually wide spread, consist of many different species, can be passed congenitally and through sexual contact, and that nutrient deficiency/immune supression results in symptom presentation. The individual cytokine cascades produced by each different infection enables the bacteria to more efficiently scavange the specific nutrients they need.

Buhner cites 7 of Breitschwerdt's papers in the bibliography of this book.

I wonder if Dr. Breitschwerdt considers these bacteria to be parasitic in the way Buhner does.

I love veterinarians. They seem to be so open-minded. I'll check out the website, thanks again.

Edited by rowingmom

This is the doctor who is a veterinarian by trade who has done the most research on Bartonella strains.

WEDNESDAY, July 17th, 7:00 p.m.

Bartonella - An Emerging Disease

Speaker: Dr. Edward Breitschwerdt, D.V.M.

Where: Kennett Friends Meetinghouse, 250 N. Union Street (Rt. 82), Kennett Square, PA

If you live anywhere in the area, make sure you make it to this meeting - it will be well worth it. Dr. Breitschwerdt has been studying Bartonella (a common tick-borne disease) for over 20 years and has written hundreds of papers. This is an organism that we all need to understand. Dr. Breitschwerdt calls it a plague in our society, because of its prevalence. When you read the studies, it's amazing how many healthy people have it. They stay healthy until something compromises their immune system, and all the while, they may be spreading it to other people. Free to the public. Go to lymepa.org for more information.

I will definitely try to get there. It's about 1 1/2 hours from me.

Dr breitschwerdt is the reason we found Bart then lymes. You are so right veteranians are open minded. I used to work for a vet in college. I was talking to her about my dd symptoms. She has gone to a conference and dr breitschwerdt spoke about bartonella. My vet is the one that suggested testing for bartonella not my pediatrician. He has a lab the test animals and humans. Galaxy labs. We tested all our animals and my dd using galaxy.

The do a triple draw test for Bart. Unfortunately, that means three days of blood draws.

I emailed dr Breitschwerdt with questions and he was awesome and got back to me.

So veteranians put me on the right track:)

If I lived close, I would go to the meeting

There are some great YouTube videos dr Breitschwerdt has done.

Mary

Mary- love hearing that! When dd was younger and we thought we were only dealing with PANDAS, our vet was so open minded to the idea of strep causing havoc. He was way more responsive then any doctor we were seeing at the time. He treated our pets and cultured them at my request - no disagreement at all.

About the Galaxy Bartonella testing - I think you need to be off abx for a few weeks before testing, correct? Was your daughter's result positive? Bartonella is very elusive and difficult to test positive. Next time my dd is off abx, I would like to run the test.

Yes you do have to be off antibiotics to test. Think two weeks. She has been off them since march 30th. Treating holistic now.

We only did the single draw test because I could not get her to get blood drawn three times in a week. Now that she has improved. She might be more willing to do triple draw. They told me at galaxy this is by far best way to test because the bacteria cycles in and out of blood. We did do igenex bartonella at the same time, all negative. She was originally positive with speciality labs back in nov 2012

Mary;)

Thanks Mary. My daughter was positive a few times with Specialty, but when they made the change thru Quest she no longer test positive. There is no doubt in my mind we are still dealing with it though. Our Igenex was negative. How are you treating the Bart?

Yes you do have to be off antibiotics to test. Think two weeks. She has been off them since march 30th. Treating holistic now.

We only did the single draw test because I could not get her to get blood drawn three times in a week. Now that she has improved. She might be more willing to do triple draw. They told me at galaxy this is by far best way to test because the bacteria cycles in and out of blood. We did do igenex bartonella at the same time, all negative. She was originally positive with speciality labs back in nov 2012

Mary;)

Yes, it is the best way to test. DS20 just had open heart surgery for an aortic valve replacement. We suspected that bart might have been a part of the cause, so I called our vet, and asked who we should use. He gave me the number of the vet lab in NJ, who confirmed (I had already found online Galaxy Labs), that they were the way to go. I also consulted with Dr. Breitschwerdt by telephone. In the end, we did the triple draw, and also sent a tissue sample from the valve. Luckily, the valve was negative, but the blood test was positive (this means there is bart in his blood, but it apparently did not affect the heart. Now, the triple draw actually tests the blood, plasma, and does a PCR-DNA culture. So, over 3 different draws X 3 different ways of testing, you get a total of 9 different test results. Only one of my son's (one of the PCR DNA...I think on the 2nd draw) came back positive. But, positive is positive. We are also treating him holistically now, but will keep an eye on this.