ACN Latitudes Forums

Does your child actually seem to be better in the midst of an illness?

My little guy 3.5 years old seems to get BETTER during a cold or fever, and then as soon as he is well from it all his symptoms start to come back. He just finished 90 days of antibiotics and did AMAZING on the last 30 days once we switched to Augmentin. He got a minor cold while he was still on the antibiotics and did great through it, in fact most of his tics were gone. I thought finally his immune system had healed after all these antibiotics. But sure enough he got a bloody nose two days in a row (this seems to happen most times he has a relapse) and then started with arm jerking tics he hadn't had in forever (I have also noticed this happen 3 times before he's had a relapse - these same arm jerking tics and then everything goes bad within minutes or hours).

Does this sound typical to PANS? My thinking is that when he is sick his body actually has something genuine to attack and leaves his brain alone, but when the illness is over he has tons of antibodies built up from fighting the cold and they attack his brain even worse and cause the flare.

We had a similar reaction to fevers. DD even mentioned how much better she was able to think and function. If she had a fever, but wan't too sick from it, she would love to race her bike up and down the street - no shin pain from bartonella and ticcing stopped!

He has only had 1 fever since this all started and yes - he was WAY better with tics, rages, etc...he basically just laid there and slept or watched TV or let me hold him in my arms. As soon as he started to feel better he was ticcing 45 times a minute and trying to physically hurt me and even saying bad words in his SLEEP. I am starting to think of it as the calm before the storm. Anyone else get the same reaction to a cold? When he does great I always think we've beat it, but near the end or as soon as he is better it all starts again. We are in the midst of a bad flare from him having a cold over a week ago, and calling our Dr to order the Cunningham Panel tomorrow (to convince my husband, I am SO convinced).

Yes, my DD caught a cold about one month after her PANDAS onset, and she was herself for nearly a week. I began to think we were out of the woods As she recovered from the cold, all the symptoms came back. At that point I began to wonder if perhaps her immune system was distracted with fighting the cold instead of attacking her brain.