ACN Latitudes Forums

Birth Control-PANDAS

I think, if I have learned anything from this experience, it is that conventional wisdom (ie, the suggestion of regular medical doctors, re: diet, vaccinations, the offhand use of psych meds etc) is to be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe even the whole salt shaker!.

If your daughter is having problems with hormonal swings, I would find a more natural way to address the problem. Perhaps low doses of bioidentical hormones.

After the number of deaths attributed to Yaz and other BCP over the last many years has come to light, I will never again consider using them. They scare me. My father had a stroke and was tube-fed, aphasic and in a wheelchair for 15 years. I have seen what blood clots can do. My mother developed breast cancer from HRT. Artificial hormones do not act in the same way bioidentical ones do.

"Oral contraceptives impair folate metabolism and produce some degree of folate depletion'".

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-mutation-oral-contraceptives-not-recommended/2012/03/16/

May want to consider something other than birth control pill if DD has homozygous MTHFR.

Why is that? I haven't used any birth control w/ my daughter, but doctors sure are recommending a lot.

MTHFR mutations are associated with clotting issues. It's common to find MTHFR mutations in women with a history of repeat miscarriage. The clotting issue come into play in the pregnant woman. Birth control pills cause problems in women with MTHFR due to the clotting issues. You'd be at risk of venous thrombosis in the legs or worse off you combine BC pills with MTHFR.

I thought there were some previous discussions of adults (moms) who had PANDAS who found certain types of BC pills to help, others didn't. Unfortunately I can't find the threads when I search.

I had a PANDAS parent report to me that her teen dd appeared in remission from PANDAS until each menstrual cycle...an integrative MD evaluated the teen's hormone status and discovered her hormone levels to be "menopausal". Appropriate supplementation has improved her function significantly.