ACN Latitudes Forums

"The importance of self-regulatory and neuroplastic processes in

Anyone care to help translate this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...ed_AbstractPlus

Neuroimaging of developmental psychopathologies: the importance of self-regulatory and neuroplastic processes in adolescence.

* Spessot AL,

* Plessen KJ,

* Peterson BS.

Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons and New York State Psychiatric Institute, Unit 74, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA.

Normal brain maturational and developmental processes, together with plastic reorganization of the brain in response to experiential demands, contribute to the acquisition of improved capacities for self-regulation and impulse control during adolescence. The frontal lobe is a main focus for these developmental and plastic processes during the transition from adolescence into adulthood. Tourette syndrome (TS), defined as the chronic presence of motor and vocal tics, has been increasingly conceptualized as a disorder of impaired self-regulatory control. This disordered control is thought to give rise to semi-compulsory urges to perform the movements that constitute simple tics, complex tics, or compulsions. Neuroimaging studies suggest that the expression of the genetic diathesis to TS is influenced by genetic and non-genetic factors affecting activity-dependent reorganization of neuroregulatory systems, thereby influencing the phenotype, illness severity, and adult outcome of tic disorders. Similar developmental processes during adolescence likely determine the phenotype and natural history of a broad range of other complex neuropsychiatric disorders of childhood onset, and they likely contribute to the acquisition of improved self-regulatory capacities that characterize normal adolescent development.

PMID: 15251878 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

What is meant by "experiential demands" for example?

This article might help

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:KpeXCZ...t=clnk&cd=1

A child’s brain is changed by experience.The relative influence of genetic versus experiential influences can differ by type of function. For example,the regions of the brain that control breathing and heart rate are relatively hard-wired at birth, whereas higher functions related to learning and memory are sculpted and modified by experience.This yields a picture of the human brain as a plastic and self-organizing organ in which the development and maintenance of nerve connections are based on experiential demands and aren’t strictly predetermined.

You might find info. about pruning interesting too.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:vYQ-NG...t=clnk&cd=4

The scientists, to their surprise, discovered that the teenagebrain undergoes an intense overproduction of gray matter (the brain tissue that does the “thinking”). Then a period of “prun-ing” takes over, during which the brain discards gray matter at arapid rate.2This process is similar to pruning a tree: cutting backbranches stimulates health and growth.In the brain, pruning is accompanied by myelination, aprocess in which white matter develops. White matter is fatty tis-sue that serves as insulation for the brain’s circuitry, making the brain’s operation more precise and efficient.

MORE from Kim's link above:

For other abilities (e.g., to learn a new language or a musical

instrument) the window of opportunity would be more accu-

rately described as a sensitive period in that it appears to remain

open longer,perhaps a whole lifetime.This type of brain plas-

ticity has been called “experience-dependent”—responsive to

experiences that aren’t necessarily present in everyday life.

From a policy perspective,many of the most important brain-

based capacities of children are experience-dependent.Literacy

is a complex set of skills that can be encouraged by being read

to daily or being enrolled in early childhood education (which

may not be available to everyone).The goal of policy and prac-

tice should therefore be to ensure not only that all children

develop functional sensory and motor skills, but that they are

exposed to the experiences and social interactions thought to

encourage the experience-dependent neural foundation on

which literacy and other abilities can be built.

Interesting. I practiced "attachment" parenting and read to my child daily. She was very verbal from a young age, and is musically inclined. Not sure if there is a connection to any long term "outcome" but I find this subject very intriguing. B)

Another very interesting article: Be sure to see the glossary near the end.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/sos/brain.php

‘The frontal cortex [where this development takes place] is essential for such functions as response inhibition, emotional regulation, analysing problems and planning. Many of these aptitudes continue to develop between adolescence and young adulthood’ 3 , whereas spatial awareness functioning and sensory functions (such as hearing and language processing) are largely mature by adolescence.

This pruning occurs on the ‘use it or lose it’ principle: this means that the activities undertaken by adolescents are critical to ensuring that circuits (or processing systems) which underpin adaptive, rather than maladaptive, functioning strengthen and grow. The frequency and intensity of experience determines the likelihood of particular synapses surviving this period of pruning.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/sos/brain.php

Seems to me there must be something parent/professionals can do to strengthen/facilitate the necessary brain development?

This is very interesting. Three years ago I taught my 2 oldest children to speed read. I was so suprised at how well it worked. I did it mostly for my son because he hates to read, or hates to do anything that doesn't require a sports ball. He was able to remember more of a story speed reading then if he read normal. Anyway he was speed reading 500 words a minute. My daughter was speed reading 1500 wpm. The program said it worked best on children 12 and younger. We did it for a year, and they both can still do it if they need to. The brain is amazing thing.

C.P.

To be perfectly honest, what speaks to me the loudest in this article is this part

to more complex functioning carried out by the limbic system (which controls our emotions, sexuality, sleep and immune system, and plays an important role in long-term memory), right up to the most complex operations carried out by the cerebral cortex (where capacities such as those for using language and abstract thinking are based).

The bolded text, is what really interests me. I think if there is one thing, we may be able to do, it's protecting our kids brains from damage to this system.

I don't think movement disorders have anything to do with over or understimulation, and the resulting strengthening or pruning of neuronal pathways.

I totally relate to the "use it or loss it," way of thinking, I just don't buy it in relationship to tics.

Although, the sheer act of neuronal pruning, may inadvertently help?

Cum Passus, the speed reading is pretty cool! B)

I have no idea if I'm interpreting this correctly at all, but - I don't think the attempt is to say that movement disorders are related to over or under stimulation? At least that's not how I read this info? What I think they are saying is that the OUTCOME of TS and other conditions may be positively effected if the brain gets a certain type of exercise.

I think that what I posted initially indicated that the reason most people outgrow tics after adolescence, is because of the way the brain develops in that period? As parents I suspect we can try to facilitate proper circumstances to aid in the process?

"Neuroimaging studies suggest that the expression of the genetic diathesis to TS is influenced by genetic and non-genetic factors affecting "activity-dependent" reorganization of neuroregulatory systems, thereby influencing the phenotype, illness severity, and adult outcome of tic disorders."

Effects of visual experience on activity-dependent gene regulation in cortex

There are critical periods in development when sensory experience directs the maturation of synapses and circuits within neocortex. We report that the critical period in mouse visual cortex has a specific molecular logic of gene regulation. Four days of visual deprivation regulated one set of genes during the critical period, and different sets before or after. Dark rearing perturbed the regulation of these age-specific gene sets. In addition, a 'common gene set', comprised of target genes belonging to a mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase signaling pathway, was regulated by vision at all ages but was impervious to prior history of sensory experience. Together, our results demonstrate that vision has dual effects on gene regulation in visual cortex and that sensory experience is needed for the sequential acquisition of age-specific, but not common, gene sets. Thus, a dynamic interplay between experience and gene expression drives activity-dependent circuit maturation.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v9/n5/abs/nn1674.html

I plan to keep digging into this. Curiosity is killing this cat!

http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/p/w/pwm/public...city/read3.html

I may contact these folks too: https://register.nips.salk.edu/

Thanks for the info and feedback Kim. We are reading this information differently, apparently?

This is very interesting. Three years ago I taught my 2 oldest children to speed read. I was so suprised at how well it worked. I did it mostly for my son because he hates to read, or hates to do anything that doesn't require a sports ball. He was able to remember more of a story speed reading then if he read normal. Anyway he was speed reading 500 words a minute. My daughter was speed reading 1500 wpm. The program said it worked best on children 12 and younger. We did it for a year, and they both can still do it if they need to. The brain is amazing thing.

C.P.

Wow, that's amazing ! Thanks for sharing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=10395573

Adding this interesting tidbit.

Calcium- and activity-dependent synaptic plasticity.

* Zucker RS.

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California (Berkeley), 111 Life Sciences Addition, Berkeley, California 94720-3200, USA. zucker@socrates.berkeley.edu

Calcium ions play crucial signaling roles in many forms of activity-dependent synaptic plasticity. Recent presynaptic [Ca2+]i measurements and manipulation of presynaptic exogenous buffers reveal roles for residual [Ca2+]i following conditioning stimulation in all phases of short-term synaptic enhancement. Pharmacological manipulations implicate mitochondria in post-tetanic potentiation. New evidence supports an influence of Ca2+ in replacing depleted vesicles after synaptic depression. In addition, high-resolution measurements of [Ca2+]i in dendritic spines show how Ca2+ can encode the precise relative timing of presynaptic input and postsynaptic activity and generate long-term synaptic modifications of opposite polarity.

PMID: 10395573 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I'm using this thread as an info dump. Sorry to confuse.

B)

Well, look at these statements;

Tourette syndrome (TS), defined as the chronic presence of motor and vocal tics, has been increasingly conceptualized as a disorder of impaired self-regulatory control.

This sounds like they think that some people never engaged in activities, that resulted in the proper formation of the part of the brain that is involved in "self-regulatory control," or possibly not during the correct time frame?

"Neuroimaging studies suggest that the expression of the genetic diathesis to TS is influenced by genetic and non-genetic factors affecting "activity-dependent" reorganization of neuroregulatory systems

If they were able to see changes in the brain, between people who did certain activities, and people who didn't do these activities, I wish they would have filled us in, on what the differences in activites were!

ticity has been called “experience-dependent”—responsive

Ok, that makes sense. But again, how might this be applied to TS?

There are critical periods in development when sensory experience directs the maturation of synapses and circuits within neocortex.

and

Dark rearing perturbed the regulation of these age-specific gene sets. In addition, a 'common gene set', comprised of target genes belonging to a mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase signaling pathway, was regulated by vision at all ages but was impervious to prior history of sensory experience.

So they kept a mouse in the dark, during a critical period of development, and they saw that it "perturbed the regulation of these age-specific gene sets." If you were to keep a child/baby blind folded, or in a dark room for an equivalent period of time =to 4 days in mouse life, I don't think anyone would be surprised, if it perturbed their gene regulation.

I guess what bugs me about this, is it really reminds me of the old theory of "Refrigerator Mom's," in regards to Autism. Faulty gene or faulty parenting. Yea, that must be what happened B)

Laurensmom, I'm right there with you, on leaving no stone untured, but I get frustrated on "studies" that, in my minds eye, miss the mark so badly, in light of what the majority of us seem to see, in our children.

I do realise that there are probably subsets of people with tic syndromes. What might apply to one, may not apply to another.

Please, do not hesitate to share whatever you find! I have found some of the most interesting/educational threads on message boards to be those, where people had differing opinions! B)

Well, look at these statements;

This sounds like they think that some people never engaged in activities, that resulted in the proper formation of the part of the brain that is involved in "self-regulatory control," or possibly not during the correct time frame?

I don't take that statement in the same way?

"Neuroimaging studies suggest that the expression of the genetic diathesis to TS is influenced by genetic and non-genetic factors affecting "activity-dependent" reorganization of neuroregulatory systems

The "expression" of TS is influenced by genetic and non-genetic factors > such as illness, birth weight, perinatal factors, birth issues etc???

If they were able to see changes in the brain, between people who did certain activities, and people who didn't do these activities, I wish they would have filled us in, on what the differences in activites were!

Indeed! I took it that way at first, but now I think I misinterpreted "activity-dependent?" I think that's a technical term for brain activity? I'm still digging into that.

ticity has been called “experience-dependent”—responsive

Ok, that makes sense. But again, how might this be applied to TS?

It applies to a number of adolescent conditions from what I've read?

There are critical periods in development when sensory experience directs the maturation of synapses and circuits within neocortex.

and

So they kept a mouse in the dark, during a critical period of development, and they saw that it "perturbed the regulation of these age-specific gene sets." If you were to keep a child/baby blind folded, or in a dark room for an equivalent period of time =to 4 days in mouse life, I don't think anyone would be surprised, if it perturbed their gene regulation.

I guess what bugs me about this, is it really reminds me of the old theory of "Refrigerator Mom's," in regards to Autism. Faulty gene or faulty parenting. Yea, that must be what happened sad.gif

I have no idea what they are attempting to say with that research. I sent out a few emails, I'll let you know if I hear back. I'm going to re-read it and see what I can come up with.

Laurensmom, I'm right there with you, on leaving no stone untured, but I get frustrated on "studies" that, in my minds eye, miss the mark so badly, in light of what the majority of us seem to see, in our children.

I agree. I believe parents, always have always will. And, generally TIME has proven us parents right. The science is catching up, thankfully! B)

There are critical periods in development when sensory experience directs the maturation of synapses and circuits within neocortex. We report that the critical period in mouse visual cortex has a specific molecular logic of gene regulation. Four days of visual deprivation regulated one set of genes during the critical period, and different sets before or after. Dark rearing perturbed the regulation of these age-specific gene sets. In addition, a 'common gene set', comprised of target genes belonging to a mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase signaling pathway, was regulated by vision at all ages but was impervious to prior history of sensory experience. Together, our results demonstrate that vision has dual effects on gene regulation in visual cortex and that sensory experience is needed for the sequential acquisition of age-specific, but not common, gene sets. Thus, a dynamic interplay between experience and gene expression drives activity-dependent circuit maturation.

I believe what they are saying is that genetics combined with experience effects outcome. For example >

Twin studies are important because they give valuable insight into how genetics and environment affect diseases. Although it is clear that genetics play a powerful role in TS, environmental factors influence how affected one is by TS. Identical twins, whose genes are identical, may have tics that differ in the intensity, frequency and character. This means that non-genetic factors underlie these differences.

The vast majority of TS is genetic in nature, everyone with any credibility knows that, thankfully. However what is unknown are the environmental factors that cause a different expression from child to child, with the same genetic make up. Some of the factors are birth weight, oxygen, nutrients etc.

Some other interesting information resulting from twin studies show that the twin who weighs less at birth tends to have more severe tics later in life. This may be caused by a series of events that happen before the babies are born, such as differences in oxygen and nutrient levels in the babies' developing brains. Parts of the brain called the basal ganglia have been shown to play a role in TS and in other disorders involving involuntary movements (such as Huntington's disease and Parkinson's disease).

Here's more:

Brain imaging techniques have shown subtle abnormalities in the basal ganglia area of the brain in some people with TS. MRI has shown that in twins with TS, the more severely affected twin had about a 7% decrease in the size of the brain's right caudate nucleus. One study using PET (positron emission tomography) showed changes in activity in the basal ganglia and prefrontal cortex, but the authors noted that the data were not consistent, meaning it is too preliminary to draw any solid conclusions from this work at this time. Additionally, the roles of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine in TS are not yet fully understood.

For example, I think our birth experience may have played a role in my dd's TS expression?. She was in danger and had to be put on oxygen during the birth because she was deprived in the birth canal. I can still see the panic on the faces of the medical staff. Though, I'll never know for sure if that was a factor in our case, the good news is that the brain is plastic and we have the potential "correct" some of the issues at various times (in some cases)? I just want to know HOW as you said.

The question I have is could this research lead to an O.T. regimen specifically for TS? OCD has had marvelous benefits from CBT for example, and that is also a genetic issue. So, I find the research encouraging. However, I agree it can be a slippery slope if some people use this to BLAME THE PARENTS once again because as we all know that's hogwash. Though, if parents can do something in some cases, we all want to know what the heck that is. The idea is very empowering.

I do want more information on what activity to encourge in our kids though. IF I read the information correctly, that is LOL.

Thanks again Kim for the feedback, it's been great to have someone to bounce stuff off of.

SOURCE FOR INFO ABOVE: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ts.html

If it's any consolation I just got this email reply (regarding the first piece of research I posted) from one of the worlds most respected TS experts:

Very interesting, but there's no simple way to translate this gobbledegook, even for me!

Heh!

I guess I don't feel so bad not being able to make much sense of it myself. B)B)

laurensmom,

I see, a little better where you're coming from, after you mentioned the low oxygen, during your daughters birth. If I only had one son, with symptoms of tics, I would be SO inclined to think, that it had something to do with their birth, as both had some circumstances that make me shudder now.

Any thoughts on any of this?

http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic680.htm

Such innocent genetic changes were called polymorphisms. Similar harmless polymorphisms were discovered in other proteins as soon as analyses of their substructures became easy and work could be done with samples from various populations.

Diseases occurred only if the amino acid substitution in a particular protein or peptide was of a particular kind and at a particular place in the peptide chain. The polymorphism had to interfere with function and it had to interfere to such a degree that the body could not compensate readily. Only then would the gene change lead to disease.

The fact that the mutation leading to Wilson disease would be a harmless polymorphism on a planet with little or no copper was pointed out in the 1970s and 1980s. Refsum disease would not exist in a society that did not consume phytanic acid. Favism would not be recognized if fava beans did not exist. Hypokalemic periodic paralysis would not manifest itself if an affected individual never consumed a meal high in sugar. Individuals with mild forms of fructose intolerance would not have symptoms if they never ate foods containing fructose.

The relation between polymorphism and disease can be even more complex. In a number of instances, two or more things must go wrong for a disease to appear.

Causes: Causes of TS may be genetic, nongenetic, related to streptococcal infection, or other.

Lesion studies

Several cases of tics beginning after a focal brain lesion have been reported. These suffer the difficulties of all case reports, yet in general one may say that prefrontal, basal ganglia, and thalamic lesions are especially common. One interesting series described 6 patients who suddenly developed tics, obsessions, or compulsions after anaphylactic reaction to wasp stings produced bilateral globus pallidus lesions (Laplane, 1981; Laplane, 1994).

Evaluation of tics secondary to encephalitis or degenerative illnesses

Motor and vocal tics and compulsions frequently were reported in patients who survived the encephalitis lethargica epidemic in the 1910s and 1920s. Similar symptoms also occur in some patients with Huntington disease, Wilson disease, neuroacanthocytosis, or frontal lobe degeneration (Jankovic, 2004). None of these illnesses cause pure, circumscribed lesions. Still, together these observations confirm the impression that the basal ganglia and frontal cortex may be involved in the tics of idiopathic TS.

And...Thank you too! It is nice to have someone to bounce this stuff off of. :)

Also, just wanted to mention, the inability to utilize B12 can be genetic, as Bonnie hypothesis, a possible gene involved in magnesium wasting, a genetic problem with detox pathways etc........

Fascinating info Kim!

I had NEVER heard that a wasp sting can be a factor in various illness? SHEESH! And fava beans?! :)

Indeed swelling of the brain can lead to many issues, and many things can cause encephalitis. Also interesting to note that seemingly benign environmental factors can wreak havoc in some populations.

On a similar note, my dad suffered from Malaria in the Vietnam war, he has never been quite the same. After a bit of research I found that it has been demonstrated that those recovering from malaria have had higher incidence of violent behavior, depression, post traumatic stress etc.

I am certain that if I had more than one child with TS, I'd be less likely to ponder our birth experience. In fact, that experience is just one of many things I "ponder" from time to time. But, I don't "obsess" about it because it's pointless. :blink:

However, I heard back from one of the original researchers on the article that prompted this discussion, and here is what she had to say:

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your note and your question. Our research and this review are aiming at understanding which specific developmental processes help children with TS to control their tics. This research started with Petersons paper from 2001 showing that children with TS had a more prominent prefrontal cortex than control children. We know that executive functions that control our impulses and automatic behaviors are mainly located in this area of the brain. Further the volume of the prefrontal cortex correlated inversely with tic severity (meaning that children with TS with a more prominent prefrontal cortex experienced less tics). This may suggest that children with well developed self-regulatory control or executive functions also have a better capacity of controlling their tic behavior. There are, however, to date no follow-up studies that test e.g. measures of training, which could help parents of children with TS to understand which specific interventions may help their children to improve self-regulatory control. It is also important to realize that these processes generally take place unconsciously and probably it will only be possible to “train” such control to a certain degree, most of it is regulated by the brain’s own maturation. Another point that has to be taken into account is that some children with TS experience tic suppression as uncomfortable and in this group one would rather recommend letting them tic freely. In the future it will, however, be important to conduct studies that map which factors may help children to a positive outcome of their tics (most of them show a substantial improvement during their teenage years) in comparison to other factors that may prevent this adaptation to the condition. So we can hope that your highly relevant question may be answered more specifically in a few years time!

Best wishes,

K Plessen

Thanks again for the interesting discussion Kim. I'm thankful I got an answer/clarification.

PS I wanted to touch on the Metabolic Disorder issue you noted. My dd seems to get relief from Inositol and Magnesium supplementation. I try to give these vitamins on an "as needed" basis, but have found that they are both helpful along with good old fashioned common sense nutrition. I also have discovered epsom salt baths from reading here. She loves em!

Also, my husband is a diabetic, and I recently read an article that indicates researchers are looking in the direction of "the nervous system" to explain diabetes? I can't find the blasted article now, but will post it when I can.

Have a great day

LM