ACN Latitudes Forums

Vocal Tics & School

Just wondering if anyone else has/had a child with severe vocal tics who attends school. What was your experience with school/teachers/classmates. My son is literally ticcing every second or two all day long with various loud throat-clearing & hacking sounds. It never lets up. It's so awful, I don't think I can send him to school like this. He's supposed to start Kindergarten in August.

My son had severe vocal tics during school this past year for a time. I know it was disturbing for everyone. The kids are surprisingly very understanding. And the school worked with us any way they could. The teachers watched out for him and told the other kids they would be disciplined if they teased him. Some still did but most were understanding. We considered homeschooling but just are not financially able. Diet has helped a lot to reduce the tics. He still tics but less frequently.

My son has mainly been a vocal ticcer and we have found the kids to be really understanding, The teachers had a talk to the class about what tics are etc. The only time i've kept my son at home was when he had the full high pitched screaming tic, There was just no way i could send him with that one.

Once people have knowledge and understanding we've found that they are really accepting and i hope you and your son find the same.

When my son had vocal tics at school, the 504 plan was a great help as it was written in that he was allowed to either chew gum or suck on a (healthy!) candy during class. Many people find that very helpful! Also, it was written in that he could have a hand signal for the teacher when he felt he needed to release vocals, and she would nod and he could leave the class and go outside to release the tics and then return quietly to class.

And yes, absolutely agreed on being upfront with teachers and classmates! Although there will always be those kids that pick on others for whatever reason ....the vast majority were very kind and understanding once they knew what the tics were.

• 2 weeks later...