ACN Latitudes Forums

Vaccines and college- looking ahead....

Hi all! My two pandas girls were fully vaccinated (pre pandas) until 6th grade. We have since took the religious exemption. One has missed, and the other will miss in a year, the Tdap and the meningococcal.

While both have been doing really well, pandas is still with us, and I would be very, very concerned to vaccinate.

Both neuros that we have seen agreed that the vaccines should be put off for now, until it seems pandas is a distant memory. To be honest, I am not expecting that day to come, just expect that we will be able to manage what comes up.

What I am now wondering is what about college? I think most colleges require these vax, and don't have very lenient rules about exemptions. Has anyone run into this yet? Does anyone have a plan for this?

If we do need these vax for college- I want to strategically plan when to get them- maybe btwn frosh and soph years.

Thoughts?

I think it would depend on what state your children decide to attend college, or if the finances are there you could maybe choose a private college where restrictions may be more lenient. Before my pandas son goes to college I plan on researching all of this. I do have a medical exemption from my sons neurologist in our state for school, but not sure how that will apply for college.

Hi, my sons are going to college in the fall. One is going in Virginia where the meningitis vaccine is required, and the other to NC where a TB test is required. Dr. T is writing waivers for both. We are opting out of all "optional" vaccinations.

My DS is in PA, and I don't remember any immunizations being required. But, either way, we would opt out. Another thing you might want to consider if you are concerned about being in close contact with other students (like living in a tiny dorm room, and getting sick,) we went through the office of disabilities, and got him approved for a single room, based on his disability. The only drawback, is that he also has Asperger's (although socially he's worse when sick), and being in a single room encourages him not to socialize. But, I'll take that over constantly being ill.

Wow, DCMom, you've opened my eyes here!

DS will be a high school junior next year, and part of his summer "job" is researching colleges for himself. I knew to steer him toward all the typical stuff (ACT scores, etc.), and thanks to a seminar at the IOCDF conference last summer, I also knew to make sure he checked on the availability and proximity of the Student Services office. But until now, it didn't even occur to me to have him check the medical/vaccination requirements!

Uh oh! DS's list just got longer! :P