ACN Latitudes Forums

Inositol and OCD, bipolar

I am doing research on lyme and found this about inositol which I did not see mentioned on the forum. Perhaps I missed it. Info is from Wikipedia. we haven't tried it ourselves. If you had experience, could you comment, please?

Some preliminary results of studies on high-dose inositol supplements show promising results for people suffering from problems such as bulimia, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), agoraphobia, and unipolar and bipolar depression.[20][21]

In a single double-blind study on 13 patients, myo-inositol (18 grams daily) has been found to reduce the symptoms of OCD significantly, with effectiveness equal to SSRIs and virtually without side-effects.[22] In a double-blind, controlled trial, myo-inositol (18 grams daily) was superior to fluvoxamine for decreasing the number of panic attacks and other side-effects.[20]

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of depressed patients showed that a high dose of inositol (12 grams daily) resulted in significant improvement of symptoms, with no changes noted in liver, kidney, or hematological function.[21] A meta-analysis of randomized trials of inositol for depression was not able to determine if inositol is of benefit.[23]

Older research suggests that lithium functions primarily by decreasing myo-inositol concentrations in bipolar patients; however the conclusions of this research are unsupported and have been questioned.[24][25] Other studies suggest that lithium treatment may further inhibit the enzyme inositol monophosphatase, leading to higher intracellular levels of inositol triphosphate,[26] an effect that was enhanced further by administration of an inositol triphosphate reuptake inhibitor.

I gave my son Inisoltol starting at low dose and he became so exacerbated with magnified PANDAS symptoms within 2 days that I stopped it on the 3rd. I had been given the idea by an MD. I did not realize at the start that it acted like an SSRI. If I had, I would have been much mroe hesitant as SSRIs can have adverse effect upon PANDAS kiddos.

Hi there,

My dd has lymes. Thought pandas for a while but diagnosed with lymes march 2013. Doing well. Did antibiotics then went to hansa center. Much improved. However her biggest symptom was intrusive ocd like thoughts. Started inositol back in dec. started slowly 350 mg. worked up to 800 mg. I do think it helped. Did not take the thoughts completely away, but they I'd not bother her as much. She was able to move past them easier. It made her happier. Got the powder. Taste yummy like sugar.

Since the hansa center they come up maybe once a day for a minute. So backed inositol down to 350 mg once a day. Still treating lymes. But the holistic approach.

Mary:)

If you use the search feature in the upper right corner of the forum, you'll find many discussions on inositol, 5-HTP, tryptophan and NAC for OCD symptoms. Here's one http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16301&hl=inositol#entry131055 where I listed a lot of articles on inositol.

We stopped using it because it lessened anxiety but didn't cut through OCD or compulsive behaviors. We also found lyme after I posted this and that took us down a very different path. If you do decide to use it, be sure to titer up your dosing slowly, increasing maybe every 5-7 days. If you go too fast, you can get gas and stomach distress. Also if you stop, titer down every 5-7 days. Don't stop cold turkey. You need to treat this the way you'd treat an SSRI.