ACN Latitudes Forums

Homozygous C677 MTHFR - ME Now!

So some of you may remember that my PANS daughter is compound hetero for 1298 and 677. My husband has one 1298 mutation. My other daughter has one 677 mutation. Of course, being the mom I was more concerned with everyone else and didn't even think to get myself checked!

Well I was tested recently as part of a regular physical and it turns out I am homozygous for C677T... and my homacystine levels are already high. I was glad that I somewhat had an understanding of what it meant but now I am in supplement mode and trying to figure out what I have to do to bring my own levels down. I'd love some advice from anyone who's dealt with the double mutation and high levels.

And to those moms out here with kids who have MTHFR issues - get yourself checked!! Stress can make things worse, fast.. and I would say all of us on this board are dealing with STRESS!! :)

We don't have the A1298C mutation but use Yasko's Holistic Health methlymate B drops for DD and Yasko's Folapro pills for DH.

To second your comments that if you child has mutations, you or your spouse do too - this goes beyond just MTHFR. We found many mutations on other genes in the methylation cycle when we tested. I totally appreciate the privacy concerns, but some of these mutations can greatly influence your risks for heart disease, diabetes, macular degeneration and other life-altering diseases. Knowing you have them can give you a chance to potentially alter your - and your children's - health path.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I have at least heterozygous a1298c based on my daughter's results. I'm in the oh so long wait to get my 23andme test results back so I don't know the full picture yet but I started taking a low dose of my dd's methylated supplement and I can't tell you how much better I feel. I was about to go on Welbutrin do to serious depression and weight gain but I'm feeling like I'm coming back now.

landamom -- if you don't mind -- you can PM me if you wish -- I am still -- after a ridiculously long time -- arguing with my insurance co about covering my MTHFR test -- you mention you had it done as part of a regular physical -- did your insurance cover the test? do you know what diagnosis code you used? thanks!!!