ACN Latitudes Forums

Glutamate

I read in the article below that the SLC1A1 gene at a specific SNP is highly associated with OCD and is associated with glutamate transport. DS has the SNP at +/+ according to 23 and Me. Give me some belief that DS's problem could be glutamate based. I had thought not because of the spectacular failure of NAC (screaming maniac.) However, 23 and Me has an answer to that also, which is that he has multiple CBS and BHT abnormalities that might make the sulfur in NAC problematic. For those who have tried them, is there a positive or negative to pushing for Memantine, Riluzole, Amantadine? Might see if DS can give them a try, although our new doc is going in a different (and possibly hopeful) direction.

The article: Influence of polymorphisms in genes SLC1A1, GRIN2B, and GRIK2 on clozapine-induced obsessive-compulsive symptoms.

Edited by lynn

We've long thought that glutamate plays a role in our DS's OCD, though we've not done any of this gene testing. Fortunately, he responds well to NAC. I've read that consuming Vitamin C along with the NAC can be important to the proper management of the sulphur component . . . don't know if adding extra C would help those with sulphur sensitivities, however.

Our psych is not a proponent of memantine or riluzole off-label as of yet for OCD . . . says she knows they're under research, but that research and daily, practical application are two different things. So she says she wouldn't withhold them if DS should ever arrive at a point at which none of the other interventions are successful for him, but she'd like to see the peer-reviewed research completed first, if possible.

In the meantime, she's prescribed lamictal for DS, which is also thought to modulate glutamate in the brain. We've talked about this some on other threads, but the lamictal has definitely been helpful for DS. I wouldn't say that it has actually reduced OCD, but what it has done is lessen DS's attachment to his OCD thoughts when they arise. It gives him a greater capacity for putting his logical, non-OCD mind in the driver's seat and being more objective in those moments.

Good luck to you, and please let us know if you go with one of the glutamate modulating meds and, if so, how your DS fares!