ACN Latitudes Forums

For those giving high potency B vitamins

We use Source Naturals methocobalamin (B12) sublingual. I like the sublingual form because it still gets absorbed even if the gut is messed up and the methyl form is more readily used by the cells. Then we used the P5P form of B6, either on its own or from Kirkman's SuperNuThera w/ P5P. I like that product because it has folinic acid instead of folic acid, but it does not have the methylated form of B12.

Originally b12 injections and Klaire Labs P5P. Now we are using Neurobiologix Neuro-immune stabilizer cream. You rub it into the skin once or twice a day. Has 5MTHF(5-methyl tetrahydrofolate), hydroxycobalomin, methlycobalomin, P5P and vit D in it. DS has been using this for about three months. We recently tested his folinic acid and B12 levels and they are still up there (B12 is actually still above range but falling) even though we are not doing the injections or oral pills. Dr Stewart Kendall developed the Neuroimmune cream. DS doc has been seeing good results with it and it bypasses the gut.

It depends on what kind of B12 you need.

DS uses a Source Naturals B complex with adenoB12 and a higher amt of niacin (@50 mg) because he's an overmethylator and needs things that use up methyl groups. It's a sublingual but has a horrible taste. So I crush it up and put it into a gel capsule. I'm sure we lose some in the gut but it's better than nothing. It's made him less edgy.

DD needs methyl groups. So she uses Source Naturals sublingual methly-B12 and Holisitic Health (Yasko) methylfolate drops. then gets her other Bs from diet. This makes her less moody.

I cannot find a multi that has the exact forms in the exact doses we need. So we do a lot of single vitamins, like A, E, etc. But before deciding on a B Complex, you need to know what form of B12 and folate you're looking for and whether you want things tipped toward providing more methyl groups or toward using some up. (e.g. adeno and hydroxy B12 use up a methyl group as the body converts these into methylB12 - which is does just fine if you don't have an MTHFR issue.)

I will likely need to use either the cream nicklemama mentioned for b-12 or a patch I found on amazon since kiddo needs hydroxy b-12. Only 1 - 2% of b-12 is absorbed when taken sub-lingually or orally. Bacterial overgrowth in the gut reduces absorption as well, BUT they have very high dose sub-linguals and orals now, so that may counter act the previous two complications. I probably am going to go with some form of transdermal, but I am not sure yet.........

I was refering more to a b-complex, something with many b's in it in one pill.

So, is the folic acid in that okay for those w/ MTHFR mutations?

I gather that non-methylfolate supps are simply passed through the the system unabsorbed, but I wanted to see what others thought as well.

Well, that's what I thought. But then I started reading some stuff from MTHFR sites that said you should avoid the the synthetic folic acid (the kind generally used in supplements and the kind that cereals and flour is "enriched" with). I was frustrated because it didn't make sense to me that it could cause harm. I found this though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1673/

From that:

Folic acid should not be used for the treatment of HFM because it binds irreversibly to the folate receptor, therefore blocking folate transport across the choroid plexus.

I find it very difficult to avoid folic acid completely, but try to limit it.

This is what I use for my DS - who has normal MTHFR and is an overmethylator. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize in your original post you meant a B Complex specifically for those with MTHFR issues.

There is no way my DD with MTHFR could tolerate this particular blend. That's why she takes the methylfolate drops from Yasko along with a separate sublingual methylB12 from SourceNaturals. I have yet to find a B Complex or multi that suits her needs. She limits fortified cereals but not entirely and in theory, this is ok b/c she is heterozygous. Her MTHFR enzymes work, but only about 50% efficiency. I imagine it would be a much bigger issue for those who are homozygous (+/+) but every individual is different and some of the impact will depend on your other mutations and how they interplay with each other.

HFM (hereditary folate malabsorption) is a much more serious condition so I think what Peglem points out is true but unless you have MTHFR +/+ I'm not sure you need to - or even can - avoid synthetic folate entirely. Still, I agree you wouldn't want to be buying a supplement that contains synthetic folate if you have MTHFR mutations.

Mayzoo - if your DD has MTHFR what led you to feel she needs hydroxyB12 and not methylB12? Just curious.

LLM--She has the MTHFR A1298C +/- and two heterozygous COMT variations (COMT V158M, and COMT H62H) . Her genetic genie report says she needs to alternate between hydroxy, adenosyl and/or cyano b-12s. It says methyl b-12 is better for those who are COMT -/-. I already have cyano in her MV that she takes (low dose), so I am adding in the high dose hydroxy patches.

My head is still spinning from all this research and learning, AND my spell checker went nuts with that above paragraph LOL.

Edited by Mayzoo

Thanks everyone for all the input!! I am still digesting all this. For now, I am going to keep her on what she takes.....Alive multi w/o iron. I was going to add a super b complex, but I realized the Alive already has high doses of some of the Bs. So, for now, we will stick with it through all these other changes. With her dose, she is getting 264mg of folic acid, but kiddo is only heterozygous on the A1298C.

http://www.amazon.com/Alive-Potency-Added-Multivitamin-tablets/dp/B0009F3ROC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371395850&sr=8-1&keywords=alive+multivitamin