ACN Latitudes Forums

What are the most common vocal tic triggers?

I have found this forum to be extremely knowledgeable. My ds started with a motor tic. I read on here about dairy and motor tics. We eliminated dairy and that resolved.

So what I'm wondering, is what are the top triggers you all have found for vocal tics? Ds's tic is small and controllable with gum, but he'd like it to be gone. He's also been excellent about keeping a dairy free diet because he is adamant that HE doesn't want that motor tic back. So ds is definitely of a mind to go along with things and try them.

Any ideas or suggestions? I know that gluten comes up a lot. I have a celiac bil so I know what gluten free involves. I'm a bit hesitant to try that one because ds is a carb kid. Giving up dairy didn't really hurt that much because he didn't like much dairy anyway. Gluten free would be a whole new level of commitment for him.

Marissa

We have found that gluten free for our 7.5 twin daughters has been very positive. In Jan. we eliminated gluten completely and found that in one, tics diminished and in the other, anxiety and facial grimaces were also diminished.

One was totally carb, but I found out that by switching things around in my pantry, I am able to bake all kinds of

very good breads/english muffins/muffins/cookies/pancakes/waffles etc. and suffice it to say I have never been an inspired baker. Terrible, quite frankly but now I am whipping things up every few days!

The pasta is easy - brown rice pasta is the same as reg. - just have to rinse it with hot water when it sits in the colander.

I am happy to pass on successful recipes if interested - saves you the trial and error!

Ludenberg rice couscous is a great couscous alt. and rice is a saviour.

There are tons of gluten free crackers that are yummy and glutino makes pretzels that are way better than anything I've ever tried. I am finding dairy much harder because I have 2 cheese-oriented kids. Not too sure that it is making any difference yet so still experimenting for one more week.

Good luck!

MEBS

For us gluten is an issue because of candida/leaky gut and milk and food colours seem to be the triggers for vocal tics in my son, Ds was a huge carb eater along with processed sugars and milk! Since eliminating all and more it he has had much improvement. He surprisingly dealt with all the changes well and he is 6, He also eats so much better now than he ever has, almost like his body suddenly craves totally different foods.

Good luck :)