ACN Latitudes Forums

Glutamine & Tics

Does anyone know anything about the effect of the amino acid glutamine on tics? It's one of the few amino acids my doctor wanted me to add in based on testing.

I was researching it on iherb, and it said that those sensitive to MSG should use glutamine with caution because the body metabolizes glutamine into glutamate.

I don't know if I'm sensitive to MSG, but I know it's listed as a tic trigger.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

my son takes L-glutamine daily for his Crohn's Disease. It is a remearkable healing agent for the GIT

I dont know the scinece behind the theories, but MONOSODIUM glutamate is a different chemical from the glutamic acid=glutamate that the body converts glutamine into

anyway...whatever the theories....my son does NOT tic from L-glutamine, but he knows instantly if he has consumed MSG as he both tics more but also just begins to fee weird and his OCD also rises

Hi Carolyn

my son takes L-glutamine daily for his Crohn's Disease. It is a remearkable healing agent for the GIT

I dont know the scinece behind the theories, but MONOSODIUM glutamate is a different chemical from the glutamic acid=glutamate that the body converts glutamine into

anyway...whatever the theories....my son does NOT tic from L-glutamine, but he knows instantly if he has consumed MSG as he both tics more but also just begins to fee weird and his OCD also rises

We have been using a lotion which I always wondered about.

What do you use?

It seems that glutamine could be good, but also could be bad. It just depends on the individual as with every supplement. I guess it's worth a try as maybe it will be really good for me. I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Andy-Are you talking about the glutathione lotion? Because if you are, glutathione and glutamine are different.

Carolyn

I just wanted to update on what I decided to do with the glutamine. I took glutamine for 2 days. However, I went from hardly any tics in the morning before taking the glutamine to really bad tics a while after taking the glutamine.

I stopped the glutamine and things are back to normal. I'm not planning on trying the other few amino acids suggested. This doesn't mean that glutamine is bad for all with tics as everyone's different. I wish I tolerated amino acids as some of them may be very beneficial if I did. Just as a reminder the same thing happened to me when I took Taurine, which most find so beneficial.

Carolyn