ACN Latitudes Forums

Some things i've noticed

Ok so i've been thinking (too much as usual :P)

When all of my sons tics started snow balling at the start of the year and when i was trying to work out triggers etc i felt like almost everything that was increasing his tics.

However now that things have been steady for around a month with minimal to mild tics i have noticed that -

Watching tv does not make him tic more

computers or ipads, ipods do not make him tic more

Even being extremely tired doesn't make him tic more. For example our trip to the neurologist we woke around 4:30am took a plane flight, Walked around the entire day, took cab rides, went to appts, waited around at the airport and finally flew back home at 7:30pm and he didn't fall asleep until 8:30pm and that entire day there were no extra tics! I know i was dead tired and you could see he was utterly pooped too.

Talking about tics doesn't make him tic more either.

But being hungry appears to make him more vocal - Could this be due to gut issues?

Colours/preservatives and milk def make him more vocal - learnt this again after a birthday party the other day and he had cake with bright red fondant icing!!

It's making me start to think more and more that his tics are a result of allergies, intolerances, gut issues etc so how do we ever know if the dx of TS is correct or not and i guess does it really matter as long as we find out what works for him in minimizing the tics and getting him overall good health?

Edited by logismum

Talking about tics does increase them for my ds. TV doesn't, but he barely watches that. I've actually noticed the vocal tic comes out in more in 2 particular buildings that likely have mold issues. Also, I notice them pop up when he thinks/knows he's in trouble.

Marissa

Excitement and anxiety or stress cause tics for ds but they have lessened a lot bc of diet. I'm not sure how old your child is but yes I thought ts bc dh has tics. But you are smart you are watching and you notice things. He had many allergies and intolerances at that point. Food was causing tics back then. The gut is a huge thing. For my child it is not strictly ts we revamped diet and yes milk dyes and twenty other things were causing issues. Eliminating things helped a lot!!!!! He is in 6 th grade and things are going well with tics. I have been through everything with him. Yes mold allergies and grass, pollen, hay fever everything!!!! My son is not ts according to what doctors would say. Watching what he eats and limiting things shows a huge difference. Yes it has been three years but that's his case of his gut being messed up but no allergy meds ever. The crazy thing is that ds used to tic at 8'bc of wii or watching tv. I though it was the games and tv! But the diet helped the most?

Mar

Well i thought anxiety was/is/would be a trigger for ds but i'm not sure now as it was his first flight ever and at first he wanted us to drive as he wasn't keen but ended up loving it.

Also just got back from taking him for a blood test, We had crying and screaming just before they drew blood then he was all good and nope no extra tics before or after. He can also fight or be annoyed with his 4yr old sister or get in trouble which isn't often and be put in time out and it doesn't bring anything on tic wise either. Very interesting.

I'm glad it's getting easier to identify triggers now instead of thinking it's everything!

My ds's tics are not made worse by any typical things either...but gymnastics, specifically floor/tumbling brings out every tic I've ever seen. When he's done with floor, the tics are done too. I can't figure it out.

Edited by Crunchfly

Crunchfly that is really really interesting!

I need to get it on video, because it's really the only time I see tics lately. My only guess is that maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's moving so quickly and engaging so many muscle groups? I would guess it also involves a lot of adrenaline, which could potentially play a role. We're not talking somersaults here...but tumbling passes with multiple back handsprings, etc.

My oldest ds has had tics for 5 years. The only triggers that I notice are lack of sleep, extreme stress or hours of video games (he rarely plays anymore). I have done all sorts of diet changes and notice no change. I am just trying to keep him on a decent diet because he is a growing boy. He takes topamax but has usually 2 flare ups a year ( we are in one now). They usually last 4-6 weeks. He hates the tics but says everyone has some sort of tic so he does try to accept it.

I recall a forum member mentioning a couple of years ago that the chalk used during gymnastics was a trigger concern for his child who was active in gymnastics.

I thought about that when I first noticed it, but floor is one of the few events they don't use chalk for, and the event preceding floor changes at every practice. I suppose the effect wouldn't have to be immediate, but the ticcing is so contained in this small half-hour time period of the day that I am leaning more toward an internal process than an external trigger.