ACN Latitudes Forums

My son's tics gone about 85%

Cum Passus

About 2 weeks ago I started my son on Peter Gillham's Natural Calm magnesium supplement, and at first I didn't say anything because I wanted to see how he would be during Christmas. I can't believe it but he has been so quiet. No yelling, and he even can go an hour without making a noise. I am so hopeful, this is the only thing I have given to him that I have seen a change in his tics. I have given him mag/taurate and he almost seemed worse. (could have been the taurate?) I am so happy and wanted to wait longer to let you all know. (wanted to seen how he would be during full moon) Yes, Chemar I think my son tics worse too during the full moon. Peter Gillham also has a Natural Calm for kids (four years and up) thought this would be helpful for

anyone with real small kids. Also he has Mama Calm for expecting moms, and a Baby Calm. We don't have the calcium supplement yet was hoping to get that started after seeing how this mag. worked.

Very happy, hope it lasts.

C.P.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C.P.

So glad that you have found something that works for your son. I am also looking into giving my son magnesium and am hesistant to give him the magnesium taurate, since some may experience increase in tics due to it is an amino acid.

C.P. When you gave magnesium taurate to your son and he had more tics, did the tic subsided once the supplement is stopped? And how long? My son is ultra sensitive, just about everything i have given him had caused more tics, so i am very hesistant to give him anything.

Hope you had a great X'mas! And thanks for sharing the info.!!

Patty

Patty,

My sons tics while on the taurate went from bad to worse. I understand about being super sensitive I was thinking nothing would help him. I am also scared to introduce other things but maybe now I will be able to see what doesn't work. It has been a very frustrating year. Thanks for asking about Christmas it was a blessing compared to last year. Hope yours was a good one also.

C.P.

C.P.

We had a pretty smooth X'mas. I did note that my son had a few head nodding tics after watching TV for about 3 hours at our relatives house. I figure as long as it is few, infrequent and it doesn't cause pain or harm to him. I figure what the heck! As tomorrow he will be back on TV restrict. I have to let him be a kid.

In regard to calcium. What kind are you giving him? I am considering the calcium citrate in powder (brandname Now) on iherb. The only problem is i have to estimate the calcium to magnesium ratio by eye balling it. Any suggestions?

Patty

I too started my child on natural calm about 2 years ago or less after not successful on Bonnie's supplement.

I have been also on it. I was warn about loose stool but none of us had that problem.

However, for the first year I can feel a difference in body as soon as I take it , like a relaxation comes over me but now I don't feel that anymore..but overall my whole being, my personality are more relaxed..

Seems like after a while you don't get the same jolt as you would for the first year.

I have not asked my son on how he feels with or with out it..

He just takes it..

Thank goodness he listens..

However what pushed him to the next level is really the Epsom Salt bath..

I think a direct absorbtion trully helped..a combination probably keeps him in this minimal tic free environment..

One greatest change I have seen in all this is his allergy(plus for last 3 years he washes his nose in saline solution)..bare minimum of Claritin..on the worst day..otherwise has not touched that stuff for ages(seems for ages at least)..

Good LUCK ALL IN YOUR NEW YEAR..

AT TIME ...SOME POINT IN LIFE...THERE WILL BE TIME EVERYTHING SEEMS BLEAK..BUT KEEP YOUR HOPES UP AND DON'T DWELL ON THE BAD..IT CAN ONLY MAKES IT WORST AND NOT BETTER..THE BODY HAS A BETTER CHANCE TO HEAL WHEN YOU LAUGH ..AND FEEL WITH JOY!!

PEACE!!

Thx C.P. & Daniel for your reply.

I, too feel that the epsom salt bath really help my son with his tics.

Daniel, do you give your son calcium? If so, which brand? And how much magnesium do you give your son?

Daniel, i have read that the reason your body don't feel the magnesium effect over time because you need to balance it with calcium. I am sure that you know the ratio (2:1). The book i read also suggests start with magnesium first to bring the body in balance first then add the calcium to have the maximum effect.

Patty

Patty,

I have to check the dosage and get back to you but I just follow the guideline of natural calm twice a day.

Morning and night. One teaspoon. If you can take a look at natural calm's website for kid's calm.

It will tell you how much is one teaspoon.

As for Calcium, It is from one a day vitamin from Frida's vitamin.

Search here www.freedavitamins.com.

The calcium is calcium phosphorus...which does contain lead..

You can search in this website on a thread to this under my name.

I am worry but re-assure that it meets California's standard..3 million per part or something.

again search the website.

Yes I am aware of 2 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio..or whichever..

However If you read Natural Calm's website or search google there are cases where 1 to 2 or whatever ratio

is not neccessary. Some website claims that we are a counry of consumer for calcium meaning ala milk...

so we are getting enough calcium...but not enough magnesium..

Some website claims magnesium can not easily absorb without calcium. I would be interested in what MRS Doubfire has to say.

Patty, be sure to take the epsom salt bath yourself too...a relax parent means a relax kid..

Don't forget to take care of ourself first.

Don't get stress out..

There are kids out there who are in lot worst shape then our kids who has God know what disease.

Some are blind and some are cripple. It is how they live their life that matters.

The grass is always greener on the other side. We always think ...what will happen to our kids future

that he nows has tics...I can tell you this..their future is bright..even kids that are in wheel chair can get

around in this world why can not our kids..

Happy Holiday.

It's interesting that you mention the calcium ratio Daniel.

I just looked at this site yesterday, trying to see if there were any remarks regarding this. I see Mrs. D has a new post this morning, under the magnesium thread.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I have looked for articles to support the 2:1 ratio, and there are many that suggest it, but it doesn't look like there is anything totally convincing.

I have read the same thing, about the lack of magnesium, being the culprit with bone weakness.

The kidney stone risk, is a bit concerning to me.

Anyway, we are using Citracal Petites with Vitamin D.

One website claimed that they are lead free. It's calcium citrate.

Kim,

The biggest problem for a lot of our parents out there...is too much supplement taken by our kids..

meaning just the share volume of it.

I wanted to try your calcium citrate but he is also taking one a day vitamin which has already calcium.

I don't want to add more.

I am looking for a one a day supplement that is all natural and with calcium citrate in it or calcium that has no

lead in it.

Usually when they claim they have no lead you have to read the fine print..sometimes no means 3 million per part or something like that..

Not frustrated but slowly looking...

I sent you couple of PM on how your kids doing..

The best of luck to your family.

All,

Just a little confused? I know Chemar said cal/mag 2:1 So why do some people say it is cal/mag 1:2 I read the Natural Calm mag/cal and it is the mag with the higher dose then cal.

What about all the milk and yogurt and kefir I give my son how will I ever know how much calcium he is getting?

Help Anyone?????

C.P.

Hoping you can help.

I just ordered the Natural Calm for kids to try.

Should I suppliment a calcium tablet or is milk and other calcium sources enough?

Also it says a child age 10 should have approx. 240 mg of mag a day.

The serving size says 1/2 tsp is 85mg

so I should give 1 1/2 tsp a day?

Is that how it goes?

Also if I am giving this, should I cut back on the B vitamins I have her on?

I give her a multi and an extra B complex to help with stress etc.

Thanks

mommy2three,

I'm not the best person to answer your question, but maybe if I bring it up someone with more knowledge will chime in. Bonnie's supplements have 300mg for 10 capsules. A child who is 35 to 66 pounds can take up to 14 capsules.A child 67 t0 89 pounds can take 15 to 19 capsules. She also suggests extra mag/tar = 500mg daily total during waxing symptoms. So it would seam to me you are o.k. with 1 1/2 tsp.

Hope that helped a little.

Happy New Year,

C.P.

mommy2three,

I'm not the best person to answer your question, but maybe if I bring it up someone with more knowledge will chime in. Bonnie's supplements have 300mg for 10 capsules. A child who is 35 to 66 pounds can take up to 14 capsules.A child 67 t0 89 pounds can take 15 to 19 capsules. She also suggests extra mag/tar = 500mg daily total during waxing symptoms. So it would seam to me you are o.k. with 1 1/2 tsp.

Hope that helped a little.

Happy New Year,

C.P.

Another quick question.

With the epsom baths,

how much do you add to the tub?

I followed the packages directions but was curious if those with tourettes should use more or less?

also how many times a week is recommended by those who use it.

thanks

hi mommy

as I am not familiar with natural calm I cant comment on those questions about it but re Epsom salts baths

2 cups epsom salts in a tub of water with a 20-30 minute soak is recommended

nightly is good but whatever works best for you is ok

drinking good pure water while soaking in the tub is a an extra boost to the system