ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin XR + Zithromax Combo Anyone?

Does anyone's child(ren) take Augmentin XR combined with Zithromax? My 12 yo son (approx 115 lbs) takes Aug XR 100mg BID, doctor wants to add in 250mg zithromax. Has anyone had success with or tried this combination before? My son does ok on the Aug XR so far, but, seems like a pretty hefty dose of antibiotics to be taking in/day.

Thanks,

Laura

My son has been on Augmentin/Azith combo for 2 years. He is 6 so does not take the XR. This has been an excellent combo designed to target both Strep and Myco, but there was also borderline Lyme and Bart. All infection has been eradicated and got progressively better throughout the treatment. Prior to this, he was on Augmentin alone as well as Cefdinir alone. Neither did what the Augmentin/Azith combo has done. He did have a herx for a couple of weeks that was pretty significant when we first added in the Azith. This leads us to believe that the Lyme was likely a true positive.

Edited by Beeskneesmommy

Thanks for the response, I think I will try it and see! I'm nervous for the herx, but, if it will help him, I know I should do it. I was nervous to give him the 1,000mg of the XR twice/day, but that has done wonders for him. My son has had tick-borne too - postiive anaplasma, suspected lyme and bartonella + myco-p.

We did this combo when my DS was first Dx'd with lyme. It didn't do much for him - yet I understand why it should be so effective. The augmentin is an extra-cellular abx and the zith is an intra-cellular, so it gets at 2 of the 3 forms that lyme can take (spirochete and l-form). When we added bactrim+zith+augmentin, we saw great gains. So hopefully it will help but if not, know that there are other combos to consider as a Plan B.

If you see a herx, make sure you hydrate, encourage BMs with magnesium or psyillium husk. There are additional things you can consider too - search on "detox" and you'll find several threads.

If school is still in session, you may want to wait until it ends. A herx can make it hard for a kid to get thru school.

My kid was on that combo along with Bactrim to fight strep and Bartonella and he did fine. When his strep titers began to fall, his doctor took him off the Augmentin and substituted Cefdinir to act as a prophylactic because it's easier on the stomach. This treatment has been very successful. He is currently virtually symptom free. Strep titers are descending and his bart rash is fading.