ACN Latitudes Forums

USF/Rothman

I'm considering taking my son to USF this summer. Dr. Storch told me that they have the most success with kids who have at least some motivation. I don't think my son has that, unfortunately. Is there anyone who has been there in this situation? I'm afraid it's going to be such a struggle everyday to get him to go and to do his homework. Can the volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House help? I'm not sure I can do this going there with just my son and I'm not sure my husband can go with us.

We were planning to go in April, but I wasn't well enough. I'm somewhat better - not completely well - but am planning to take my son anyway. I figure I'll find the strength and energy to get through it, for his sake. He hasn't been very coooperative with therapy in the past, but again we're taking a leap of faith. I have been socializing him to the idea that it is going to be uncomfortable and a lot of hard work, but will be worth it. He has been backsliding after going off antibiotics in January and is now herxing from mold treatment - and missed the last 6 weeks of school - so he is highly motivated at this moment to do whatever it takes to feel better again and be able to attend school. We'll see if that motivation carries him through the therapy...

When are you planning to go? Have you reserved a spot yet? I think they are filling up fast for summer.

I haven't reserved a spot yet. I'm taking a few days to talk to family and my husband. But I think I'm going to have to take a leap of faith also. I wonder if meeting other kids in the same situation will help him and motivate him.

Thank you for your response. Good luck this summer at Rothman!

I have heard a lot of good things about the program from others on here. And I have heard lots of good things about the RMH. I am local to the Tampa Bay area, so if you want any tips of things to do while you're here, let me know!

We are going next month. If you are considering it, I also recommend reserving a spot soon. Especially if you need it to be done during the summer.

We are fortunate to have a friend that just offered us his summer condo (and car) in St Pete for a month. My husband is coming with us and working out of his house. I plan to use weekend trips as a reward (beach, bush gardens, winter the dolphin) for my daughter's participation in the therapy. We are adding a few days in Orlando at the end of the stay as well.

I'm nervous though!

Edited by philamom

Rothman is so great. Went there last spring for 3 weeks from Va. Just me & my daughter-- husband came for the last few days. It was rough, but so worth it. However, Dr Storch is right- without motivation, therapy will not work. They mentioned sending us home, since my child would not participate at first. By the end of week one, she got on the wagon and her homework was hard for her, but she gave it her effort.

we stayed at the RMH (west, i think- the "house" one not the "hotel" one). We hardly saw staff at all. They were very good about everyone's privacy and staying out of our business. I do not think they will be of any help to you, honestly.

If he will not participate and his OCD is really bad. Please consider Rogers Memorial in WI. Excellent place- we also have first-hand experience there.

Give it a shot-- a few days in beautiful St Pete's sounds OK to me!

We saw Dr Horng for therapy.

I took my DS15 to Rothman last December for OCD. We had gotten through enough medical treatment for PANDAS/PANS that he was available for help and willing to help himself. But just 6 months prior to that, I believe he would not have even been able to get in the car to drive there.

Yes, your child will need motivation. The hard work ultimately falls on the child and you as a parent must hold your child accountable and encourage him/her to do the homework.

But the rewards are great. My son's personality blossomed after he got through the 3-week program. We had no idea how much brain power and energy his OCD was sucking up.

The docs at Rothman will be very firm and honest with you and your child. If they believe the child is not doing the work, they will suggest that you go home.

But we found such value in the program (it is by far one of the best interventions we have done) that we will be returning in August to deal with non-OCD anxieties (vomiting and needles).

We rented a home when we were there in December. But this time we will stay at the RMH West. I spoke with the woman who coordinates the RMH schedule and she recommended the West house b/c it is quiet and many families that stay there have children receiving bone marrow transplants. The quiet sounds good to me, as my son has Asperger's and does not like interacting with people he doesn't know nor does he like a lot of busy-ness.

Edited by mdmom

Agree with all of the above. Rothman as a resource is invaluable for families of children with ocd. Yes- your child will need motivation- but, even if he/she does not have motivation- and the worst case is they send you home- they will be open and frank with your child that he/she will have to deal with this, and they will help your family with strategies to cope. Maybe that has to be the first step- but do not not take that step out of fear that your child won't cooperate- do not let the ocd win and control the family. Show your son you have the faith he can beat this, and you will do whatever it takes.

We stayed at the busier of the RM houses and LOVED it. The staff was wonderful- but they are volunteers to run the "household" not help with children or therapy- however they were wonderfully understanding.