ACN Latitudes Forums

Why are Pandas kids good at math?

I remember thinking when I read in the profile of Pandas kids that they tend to be good at math, I thought...that is strange. My ds was only 6, now 7 when he was diagnosed. So math was not yet a big part of his world. However, he has just finished 1st grade and he is oddly enough, excelling in math, to the point of being high average. Doing 3rd grade level, and with no help from me. Trust me, with a Panda kid and a twin who has sensory issues....there was no extra time to devote to math. I was lucky if I got the daily reading in....Anyway, any of you hear a theory on why these kids would be good at math? I would love to hear feedback on this. Curious..............

Some of the first things we were told by our ped was that PANDAS occurred because of a genetic predisposition (clearly being explored by parents here through genetic testing etc.) and that often the mothers were good at math. I'm an engineer and my ds is also a bit of a math whiz. Maybe you have technical skills you don't recognize :)

Our PANDAS kids actually digressed quite a bit with math, mainly due to ADD/ADHD type issues. I have heard many parents say their PANDAS child math skills went way down, and this is our observance with both of ours. DS14 has really struggled with math this year. A tutor has helped some, but he does not test well. He has his math EOG today actually. We hope he passes it. So, you are lucky that yours is excelling in this area.

I come from a long line if engineers (brother, father, grandfather) and am terrible at math. DS15 was a great math student until this year, when he suddenly started struggling.

I guess it can be a chicken and egg scenario. Arr PANDAS kids good at math or are kids who are good at math more likely to get PANDAS?

T.Anna

My great grandfather and grandfather were engineers and I'm terrible at math! :)

But I have excelled in all things artistic - doing creative things is the only way I can "calm" my mind, otherwise it's racing uncontrollably. When I play songs, my mind relaxes.

DD11 has a wonderful rote memory, she forgets almost nothing. She has extremely good expressive speech because of the vocabulary she has amassed from constant reading. During the time she was struggling with her PANS symptoms however she had trouble doing simple addition and subtraction, had a very hard time grasping new math concepts (which let to MUCH frustration), executive function was non-existant and she lost spatial ability. Her non-PANS brother, on the other hand, is very good at math. My father was an engineer, my mother not so much! Hubby and I are biologists, so not too math oriented.

@ Ophelia22 - have you tried needlepoint or other needlework? DD finds it very calming.

Edited by rowingmom

Funny, we get the degradation in handwriting with flares, but for some reason ds's math skills improve, like he moves another notch out on the autism spectrum.

Another child here who also comes from an engineer family.

My husband, his father and my brother and like TAnna I am terrible at math. The only difference is when my son is flaring not just handwriting but also math skills struggle. But before Pandas entered our life he was very good at both.

:)

My son has always excelled at math, even in college. Not only did he make A's in math but he loved it! Used to write theorems for his calculus ap instructor in high school, drove her bananas! Of course my husband and his dad are/were engineers.

Go figure.