ACN Latitudes Forums

B12 with folic acid - is this bad for a 677T single cpy?

I ordered some B12 as the transdermal cream we were using was not working, staining DD's legs red. I just got the allergy research brand with 3000 ug of methylcolbamine but I see it has 400 ug of folic acid in this. I vaguely recall straight folic acid not good for those with 677T. DD takes small amount of LMTHF5 too. Thanks!

Those with MTHFR C677T mutations can't convert folic acid into methylfolate well. Estimated that when you're +/- you can convert about 40-60% and if you're +/+ you can convert about 10%. The rest puddles up into a folate block, which can cause issues. You can try it, but it makes my DD emotional and angry. We avoid it now. I also limit the amount of fortified cereal to avoid folic acid.

DS is compound heterozygous. For a yr I gave him injections of b12 and methyl folate tabs. His new doctor recommended Neurobiologix Neuroimmune stabilizer cream. It was formulated by Dr Stewart Kendall. It has b12 and methyl folate. It does cause DS arm to be a pinkish red but it fades. The stain is not permanent. It washes right off in the bath.

DS has never had trouble taking b12 or methyl folate. My guess is he does not have other mutations, so don't assume he will have trouble with it. Just be watchful. I am going to do the 23 and me, though.

Thanks, it looks like I just threw another $25 down the drain. I was using a compounded form of B12, the pharmacy told me the B12 is naturally red. Our integrative recommended intrinsic formula (which has some type of pig ingredient, grosses me out) or this one. I will go back and ask her about the folic acid and the cream. It's just so much easier to give her the tablet

LLM-

Thanks for pointing out the folic acid in cereal - the cereal my son eats most has 50% of recommneded daily dose....so guess he's going to have to find a new one. My DS is also compound heterozygous Nicklemama, we are just beginning, and will be sending in 23 and me kits on monday!