ACN Latitudes Forums

article TBD dogs

We use Advantix (permethrin) for a couple of months in the spring for emerging ticks, and Revolution (selamectin) for the rest of the season for heartworm, ticks, fleas.

A couple of weeks ago I found a brown dog tick staggering across the floor - it had obviously been effected by the Advantix I had applied to the dogs. It was not looking well. For this reason, I use permethrin spray (purchased at REI) for dog beds and all clothing worn in areas where we will be exposed to long grass or woods, and on all of DD11's clothing when she attends horse camp.

Our vet mentioned at our last visit that long-term (2+ years) continual use of Revolution is now being used to treat heartworm infection, not just as a preventative. I couldn't find any reference about that on the internet, though. About other TBI's I don't know.

Ivermectin is used for the treatment of some parasitic infections in animals as well - against borrelia, bartonella, babesia, IDK.

I'm using Frontline (fipronil and methoprene) for fleas/ticks about 6 months out of the yr and Heartguard Plus (ivermectin and pyrantel) year around for heart worms, roundworms and hookworms.

I can't use Advantix. I have cats. You cannot have a cat in contact with a dog treated with Advantix for 24hrs.

Edited by nicklemama

I think it depends on the specific treatment you use. As explained to me by my local pet expert, the reason there's such a price discrepancy among products is that the less expensive ones only impact the full-grown ticks, fleas, mosquitos, etc. while the more expensive formulations also kill the eggs and larvae stages, as well.

We use Advantix (permethrin) for a couple of months in the spring for emerging ticks, and Revolution (selamectin) for the rest of the season for heartworm, ticks, fleas.

A couple of weeks ago I found a brown dog tick staggering across the floor - it had obviously been effected by the Advantix I had applied to the dogs. It was not looking well. For this reason, I use permethrin spray (purchased at REI) for dog beds and all clothing worn in areas where we will be exposed to long grass or woods, and on all of DD11's clothing when she attends horse camp.

Our vet mentioned at our last visit that long-term (2+ years) continual use of Revolution is now being used to treat heartworm infection, not just as a preventative. I couldn't find any reference about that on the internet, though. About other TBI's I don't know.

Ivermectin is used for the treatment of some parasitic infections in animals as well - against borrelia, bartonella, babesia, IDK.

You could also send her clothing for horse camp to be treated with permethrin at insectshield.com "do your own clothes". It may cost a little more, but it will last 70 washings, so no need to reapply. I've sent out some of my husband's golf clothes. just an fyi

Also, I just had my property treated with cedar oil (natural treatment) and added some daminik tick tubes in rodent habitat.

Edited by philamom