ACN Latitudes Forums

Baby Asprin

Anyone use low-dose unbuffered aspirin as an anti-inflammatory on a regular basis, or know of a reason not to? I keep reading about using ibuprofen during an exacerbation, but what are the thoughts on aspirin?

Tx,

Heather

Someone (Swedo I think) briefly mentioned aspirin at the IOCDF meeting (2012). Of course she wasn't "recommending" it, but what she said was interesting enough that dh and I were "hmmm, maybe something to consider." Maybe Vickie (or someone else that was there) can add more?

Not sure if the Reye Syndrome link was later disproven (or at least over played).

Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on what was said about aspirin. I think there was some mention about how the autism rate went up when aspirin was no longer used in kids (ughh...but maybe has more to do with increase in Tylenol use).

I did find this (by Swedo, looks fairly recent?) online (googled) where "impact of aspirin ban" is listed under "other etiologic triggers" http://healthcare-professionals.sw.org/resources/docs/division-of-education/events/cell-death-and-differentiation-symposium/previous-conferences/2011/0900_PANDASPITANDS_Swedo.pdf

NOTE: Aspirin is recommended for kids with Kawasaki's.

PS. just found this in notes from IOCDF http://pandasnetwork.org/2012/08/iocdf-conference-parent-summary-2/

"Aspirin is not advised by the American Academy of Pediatrics due to possible Reyes Syndrome. However, it has been helpful RF inflammation and should be discussed with your physician as possibly helpful."

Edited by EAMom

I have thought about aspirin too, along with curiosity about the timing of no longer using it and the rise in autism rates. I think it is worth a discussion with a pediatrician as to what puts children at risk for Reyes, is if the flu and aspirin?

Reye syndrome is rare according to literature. Unfortunately, it is also fatal in 20-40% of the cases.

Tylenol has begun to be linked to autism and asthma increase:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3261751/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20030462

The current warnings about aspirin are this: do not use it when a child has symptoms of chicken pox or flu. Here is a fairly lengthy article on aspirin's role in reye syndrome:

http://www.tga.gov.au/pdf/archive/review-aspirin-reyes-syndrome-0404.pdf

About those aspirin studies: I would like to add this is about the same time the doctors made it difficult to get your tonsils removed - were freely handing out antibiotics. Then the doctors made it difficult to get antibiotics.

I have had many fights with my DS ex-ped to get him tested for strep throat even tho my child has had scarlet fever. Ped kept saying it was an another unnecessary test and my child had a viral infection. My child tends to vomit when he has strep. I had to switch peds. My father told me to find an older dr who had seen everything. This dr had a older brother who died from RF and would give DS a strep test if needed. He also helped me get a T&A for younger son because of speech delay and repeated ear infections - fluid. I tried to get DS's T&A removed but the NIH was not recommending T&A for PANDAS and his ears were no longer getting infected with the same frequency.

I have an older child and we were impacted by those changes during the 90's.

IMO - the studies are probably flawed - lots of changes occurred.

edit - fix typos

Edited by mkur

I have also wondered about aspirin. After all most adults now, took aspirin regularly when we were all children.. I wonder why the stipulation on aspirin is based more on age than on weight. Most meds are regulated based on a persons body weight, but with aspirin it is said not to take it unless you are over the age of 18. Just curious if any of you know.

Mkur I have also wondered about the reduced use if antibiotics vs rising rates of autism. Since some cases do seen to improve with antibiotic use it stands to reason there could very well be a connection it would make an interesting study to compare antibiotic use rates with autism

mkur

yes, lots of variables

"About those aspirin studies: I would like to add this is about the same time the doctors made it difficult to get your tonsils removed - were freely handing out antibiotics. Then the doctors made it difficult to get antibiotics"

Also, when aspirin use declined, Tylenol (see Mayzoo's links) use shot up. It also seemed like docs became less concerned about testing for strep. Also, there are (I think, heard?) there are more strains of strep that don't show a typical sore throat. And different strains of strep...maybe the RF strains have decreased, but maybe the PANDAS strains have increased.

Also, there is much more Lyme (and more coinfections). This is due to many factors (eg deer population was 1/2 million 100 years ago, now it is 25 million...so 50x increase). And we all know how Lyme throws a big wrench into things...

Edited by EAMom