ACN Latitudes Forums

other models of possible PANDAS/PANS

Oregon teen's possible PANDAS is the opportunity to get attention to this condition.

I don't mean that we should discuss more, we said enough and covered all the angles already.

I do want to add that there could be other public images out there for PANDAS.

I am not sure if any of these people have or had PANDAS but their symptoms do seem to fit

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/lena-dunham-stars-obsessive-compulsive-disorder/story?id=18513623#.UaXvMegvqB0

With all due respect, I would prefer not to link some of these people to PANDAS. Given my disgust over the way the media, the mother, and others flagrantly identified PANDAS as the primary factor in the Oregon boy's deviance, I would not call so much attention to it at this time. I prefer to move on and continue to call attention to the disorder in other ways that will elicit a more appropriate, thoughtful response from the media and therefor from the community.

BKM I complete agree, my opinion is that it seems that the family/lawyer is trying to excuse sociopathic homicidal behavior with a medical diagnosis that will only cause harm to people legitimately trying to get treatment. It is the worst kind of publicity. There were some mumblings that the Newtown murderer had Lyme, not exactly the kind of publicity the Lyme community needs, and in any case again did not create the sociopath. I would not in any way personally want to be associated with these cases. Not every case of OCD is PANDAS, my husband has horrendous OCD, was tested disappointingly for me, has no infections. just his unbearable psychological makeup/personality. I am hopeful that the scientific community will publish the only thing that really can help swing physicians which is peer reviewed research.

I know. I find myself feeling angry and defensive. Multiple people in our life are aware of my little boy's diagnosis, and I resent being put in a position in which, inevitably, people who may not be good friends and are perhaps inclined to gossip, might chose to view DS6. I feel that there were several people and entities that were irresponsible with their words and that there is potential for great damage to the PANDAS community. However, here is an article that is well done and seems to outline some of our concerns:

http://www.childmind.org/en/press/brainstorm/pandas-ocd-and-bomb-plot

Thank God for the rational minds of this world!