ACN Latitudes Forums

Lexapro & Risperdal?

Just came back from a meeting with psych doctor who suggested we change from Luvox (100mg) to Lexipro (10mg) and Rispedral .25mg.

Anyone have experience with this? Waiting to hear PANDAS dr's opinion before we start.

T.Anna

Ds15

My DS took Lexapro (an SSRI) successfully for about 4 years for OCD before we got a PANDAS diagnosis. It was a fairly low dose, however (I think 10 mg.?).

As for risperadal, we had been prescribed this for a time when DS was at his worst . . . just one big ball of frayed nerves and anxiety. For him, at a low dose, it did nothing. At a larger dose, it knocked him out and he slept for about 5 hours straight, in the middle of the day. So it didn't, in our minds, actually "treat" anything, but it did give him an opportunity to rest (and us, too, for that matter). Personally, I didn't like it because I don't really like anything that makes him sonambulent . . . it just seems like the biggest band-aid of all possible band-aids to me. :(

That being said, if he's all wound up and has not had decent sleep or a moment's peace for some time, it might be worth it, at least in the short run. Everybody deserves a measure of peace, even if it necessarily has to come in pill form for a short time.

Ughh, Lexapro was our first SSRI. I don't remember the dose. It did help the OCD a bit, but when we upped the dose we had issues (note: PANDAS wasn't "under control" yet, we were on amoxicillin which didn't do squat and had not yet discovered Azith). Actually, even on a lower dose we had issues (school refusal, needing to be upside down a lot, akathesia), but it turned into more rages (and other behaviors which were easily confused with PANDAS symptoms) when we upped the dose thinking a little more would take care of the OCD.

Also, Lexapro was pretty horrible to get off of. Google "lexapro withdrawal" and "SSRI dicontinuation syndrome".

As far a Risperdal, that drug scares the heck out of me with its gain, diabetes, irreversiable tardive dyskinesia...

Ok, I think I'm freaked a bit about the Rispedral. DS is already on Luvox (100mg) and I want to get him off that, so switching may work in the short run if it helps with ANYTHING going on.

I will search again, but I thought there were some who thought Rispedral helped.

T.Anna