ACN Latitudes Forums

Teen accused bomb plot, rare form OCD/PANDAS

BTW-

This is what I will share if my child hears about this. Let's say the person planning the bombing was diabetic- would that mean his diabetes was the cause? No. OCD is not a cause of violence, it is a cause of frustration and anguish- yes- but not a cause of premeditated, large scale violence, that is something much different, and unrelated.

There are a lot of unkowns in this story. They do not make any mention of whether or not this boy has or ever had been treated. I agree with both sides, that this could be a PANDAS case gone totally wrong, and that this child could also have a different psychiatric disorder all together. Either way, I think publicity will help all of us, and drive the point home that we must address this disorder and allow for research, education and treatments. I dont feel threatened that anyone will judge my PANDAS children (or any other children for that matter) on the basis of the diagnosis alone.

I thought Dr. T. did a great job of saying he has never seen this type of behavior in all his years of research and working with PANDAS patients. It was therefor, in my opinion, a fairly written article. Perhaps it will send an SOS to our society that we do need to raise awareness and start taking this disease seriously, even if most PANDAS patients never cause a threat to anyone but themselves.

I agree that being a psychopath and having pandas are two separate entities.... What if the boy had diabetes and was a psychopath would the news media be all over that. It makes me sick to think of the stigma that this story will put on our children.. I hope to God that my child does not hear or read about this. Thankfully it is summer and now that school is out where we live he will be keeping too busy to watch the news. If anything I pray that this story will make doctors take a closer look at all of this and more money will be spent on research and therapies for the children and adults who are still suffering.

Sorry dcmom I did not read your post before posting the same example as you.

Edited by Missmom

The article posted above by dut is a good place to end this discussion. The Child Mind Institute points out the dangers of associating a condition such as PANDAS with a particular act.

http://www.childmind...d-and-bomb-plot

It says in part: It's troubling whenever an act of violence is associated with a particular psychiatric disorder, because it's easy for people to stereotype other people with the disorder, wrongly, as prone to violence.

Comments can be added to the Institute's article and you may wish to do that.

Thank you all for your input on this difficult issue. Sheila