ACN Latitudes Forums

Streptococcus Thermophilus probiotic strain

EVERY single time I feed my dd yogurt with this strain, it sets off OCD.

How am I so sure? Because I have done this AT LEAST 20 times.

(I never give her probiotic capsules with this strain)

WHY would I keep doing this, you may ask?

Keep buying yogurt, feeding it 2-3 days in a row,

and BOOM! round and round, relentless, on the same subject,

she is taken over, bad behavior up tics, and I throw away all the rest of the yogurt,

vowing never to buy it again.

And yet, months later, I do. And the same thing happens.

She begs for yogurt. She refuses all milk, I think:

She needs the calcium/protein,

surely, at this point in the game, it won't happen, I think, or maybe it's a coincidence (again and again)

I write this, because this is as true for us as the sun comes up.

Now, after being off antibiotics for many months,

I had to put her back on Azithromycin, because she is driving me right up the wall. Miserable.

Yogurt, in garbage.

FYI.

Maybe true for your PANS, maybe not, but it's happening here.

And I'm not joking when I say I've done this 20 times.

Now that's dramatic. Must be annoying for you, but at least you know how to avoid it, in principle!

I've seen yoghurt that doesn't list any Streptococcus, only Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, so it may be worth checking labels and seeing if that's any better. (I know that because I've been avoiding all yoghurt since I started looking into PANDAS - hard to know whether it affects me as I still haven't seen any clear results from any of the treatment yet!)

Also, it's not actually that difficult to make yoghurt at home, if you have somewhere warm to leave the pot to stand for a few hours, or there are those yoghurt maker machines you can buy. Don't know if you've thought of that? Usually you have to use some bought yoghurt as a "starter" to introduce the right bacteria, which wouldn't do here as you'd get strep in there, but I'd imagine you could actually do the same with your daughter's usual probiotic - they usually seem to be largely Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium of various kinds, which are the kind of bacteria you make yoghurt with.

It's really a individual thing. DS loves yogurt and he's never had problems with it. He's PANS. Low titers to strep, never cultured positive.,never suspected he had strep. He currently has ehrlichia, anaplasma and babesia. MycoP pmeumonia last Nov set off another exacerbation.