ACN Latitudes Forums

untreatable?

appie

Hi,

My partner has OCD, which really worsened after the death of a relative. She probably always had a very mild form which we didn't pay much attention to. In the last months it has gotten so worsen that our whole life is in turmoil. For example: We currently rent 3(!) appartments. Our old one, which is 'contaminated', one where she lives now and one for me, because she possibly could not live together with another person. We rent a car since months, because our own one is 'contaminated'. The only thing we do together (every day) is shopping (almost exclusively detergents, etc) in a very detailed routine, she has to do the shopping herself, because there is no way I she could bear that I touch things. On the other hand, she would never touch door handles, money, etc, so that is what I have to do. We have to eat out every day, because cooking is not an option. Most of her clothes get bought and thrown away after a while. Even though I have a good job, this is a huge financial drain. We spend around 10.000 USD per months and in a couple of months we will be broke.

Some advice on OCD websites will say that I should not accomodate this. Trust me, this is literally a matter between life and death. So I hesitantly acomodated everything. Before we rented the extra appartments, in the contaminated one, she washed her hands roughly 500 times per day, sometimes 18 hours per day! I was already spending my nights in a hotel then.

Of course we read about treatments and tried them. The problem is that she also has CFS and is hypersensitive for all kinds off medication and also natural treatments. The chemical drugs made things a thousand times worse and got her to the edge of suicide. Also 5HTP, Inositol, vitamine B and others didn't have the desired effect. Psycological treatments are so far no option either, because she has to block everything, not actively think about rules, etc. Facing rules, routines, etc makes everything worse and results in severe panick attacks. We did not want to have her institutionalized, because we both know that with her reaction to medication, she will never get out of there again.

Naturally, it is also affecting me and our relationship. I just cannot take it anymore and feel I am close to a nervous breakdown. Most of all because I know that OCD does not just 'go away' on itself, but medication is not an option. So, am I depressed or is there really no hope?

hi Appie

i sure do feel for your situation as it is clear your partner is dealing with very very severe symptoms

we here are really not in a position to give comprehensive advice on this, and I would like to recommend that you take a look at the forums at psychcentral.com as there are many people there who deal with intense mental health issues and they are a very helpful community

also, on Friday afternoons at 2.30pm EST, there is an open free chat with the psychologists, who can maybe shed some light for you and point you in a hopeful direction for treatment for your loved one

there is ALWAYS hope, Appie ^_^

here is the link to the forums at psychcentral, and you will also find a wealth of info by going to their homepage http://forums.psychcentral.com/