ACN Latitudes Forums

$150.00 for doctor to mail us a lab form? Would love to hear from

Hello! Just wanted to see if anyone else thought it was excessively high for our doctor who is out of town to bill us $150.00 for filling out a lab request form and mailing it to us. He doesn't accept insurance so we pay $220.00 each visit in person and the same for phone consults! In between we have emailed several times. I believe I requested some of these labs the last time we saw him in person and asked him again in the emails I sent. So he finally got back to me and said he would fill out the lab request form and mail it to me like he did the last time. There were more tests on this lab form but $150.00 for probably 20 minutes of work IF that long. Any thoughts or opinions on this? Is this normal????

Tx

Maria

That isn't standard practice in my experience. Our doctor's office will charge us for blood draws or test kits (urine, for example), but not just for filling out a lab slip. That's part of the work of the appointment. And if they're going to charge you for filling out a lab slip, that seems excessive! We only pay something like $45 for a blood draw. I would call them and let them know you think there's been a mistake on your billing and see what they say.

Not normal IMO. My kids doc filled out a special Olympics form (unrelated to her care) as part of an appt, then it was misplaced before I left, so they said if I mail them another one they will fill out and mail it back to me.

At 150 to just fill out the request, I would be very concerned how much they are going to charge to review the results when those come in.

I agree...outrageous. If there was a medical form for school or the like, I could see them charging up to $20, but a lab form should be part of the visit. What are they going to charge for next...prescriptions? I also think you should call the office, and ask them if a mistake was made.

Mr DD doc dont charge us for phone calls. She said she would charges 60 per visit when i lost my job but didnt charge us when we did visit and nothing for the referrals. So ya i'd say the 150 is a bit much.

Our practice charges $12 fee for simple forms if requests are seperate from office visits. If forms are very complex they could charge up to $6 per minute. But lab slips are as easy as it gets and $150 is totally unacceptable. Are you sure you weren't being billed for the labs fees themselves? Did they send you the kit along with paid shipping envelope?

I would call personally and question that bill. That truly doesn't make any sense or sound ethical. I would also request a fee schedule including letters and lab slips. They must have one available to all patients. These are "non covered services" and they have a right to charge whatever they want. But you as the consumer have the right to be aware of these fees and seek care elsewhere if you disagree.