ACN Latitudes Forums

Rifampin

We are about to embark on a Clyndomycin/Rifampin run. 30 days and 14 days respectively. The pusrpose is to blow out any residual imfection. DS6 has been on Augmentin/Azith daily for 2 years. I also know that Rifampin interacts with the antifungual Diflucan (Flucanizole) and renders the Diflucan inefective.

My dd didn't react too well to minocycline for mycoplasma - increased agitation, anxiety - so we are about to make the switch to rifampin ourselves. I'll be interested in how your son does. Good luck with it.

Heather

We had good luck using rifampin in various combinations with other abx to treat DD's bartonella - in total she was treated with it for 288 days. We did not see the herx reactions from it that we later saw with tindamax, but it did work well to resolve pain/psych issues. The only side effect we observed was darker-coloured urine (not red as others have reported), but all metabolic tests, CBC, CMP, liver panels, kidney tests remained within normal values. The thoughts of starting rifampin were scary, but like everything else I do to help DD11, I just closed my eyes, trusted our LLMD and leaped. Just keep running monthly assessments of organ function.

Edited by rowingmom

Hi - Dd 6 is on a combo of Azithromycin, Cefnidir, & Rifampin. We are treating PANDAS, LYME, & Bartonella. We added Rifampin in March originally Dr.J wanted her on 150 mg 2x per day. She could not tolerate that much and had diarrhea ( this kid has an iron stomach & has only diarrhea twice before). We switched to Florastor probiotic and dropped down to 1 dose of 150mg per day which is where we have been for the past 2 months. Dd is 40 lb. she also takes generic Lamisil & Dr. J added in Nystatin to fight yeast. We are still trying to added Nystatin in but she has had lots of stomach aches. Our Rifampin was added in specifically to address Bartonella.

Good luck!

Teri

My DS had a decent reaction to rifampin -- he has been on the following meds since mid march (not all at once, obviously) -- augmentin, steriod blast, clindimicin, rifampin, augmentin, and now cefindir. The rifampin and cefindir have been the most effective. Id have stayed on rifampin longer if our doctor said was ok...

We have had great success with Rifampin. Our initial run was only 15 days last July (combined with Augmentin) and it completely knocked out our tics. In September, it was added for 30 days (combined with Augmentin and Azith) b/c of an active strep infection. He did awesome on it, and after 30 days had backslide and actually ASKED the doctor to refill it because he felt better on it. We switched to cipro for 30 days after that, but then switched to the Augmentin/Azith/Rifampin combo again. He just finished 60 days of rifampin and we are trying to take him off to see how he does with just the Augmentin/Azith (he had IVIG in April). My son also has an iron stomach, and it's the first antibiotic that affected him, but we just upped his probiotics and he did fine.

It is supposed to be taken in combination with another antibiotic (I forget why), and it can turn urine, sweat, tears, etc...a slight orange/red color.

My DD13 has Bartonella and has been taking IV Rifampin 600mg Mondays - Fridays for the last 7 weeks. She also takes IV Avelox 3x/wk (it's like oral Cipro, Levaquin).

She has tolerated Rifampin very well. However, 1.5 yrs ago we tried to introduce oral Rifampin and she only lasted 2 days. She seemed to have a very bad herx reaction (severe headaches, fatigue, stomach pain), so we pulled it. Then we went back to knocking down additional infections.

So now that her other infections (intestinal parasits, babesia, strep) seem to be better managed (but not gone), she is tolerating the Rifampin better. In fact, it has really moved her forward with her treatment and seems to be her current miracle drug.

We've been treating for 2 years, and treating with IV meds for 14 months.