ACN Latitudes Forums

3 years since onset of severe OCD- could it be PANS?

Another test that you might request is a streptozyme titer. Ds, never tested positive for ASO or antiDnase, but did test positive on Streptozyme titer. He had strep inside the tissues of his nose, so he never would have cultured positively. This is a common test paid for by insurance, but Dr. B was the only one who ever ordered it. I think he literally saved my child's life.

What the heck? "Streptozyme" ? Why hasn't this been mentioned before to us? I have been at this for four + years and have never heard of this test--thanks for mentioning it!

I think the reason this test is not mentioned very often is that it is very vague.... And I'm not really sure how accurate it is. Our neurologist ordered it but does not give the test much credit because it does not tell you much more than a throat culture. I may be wrong about this, but just remember specifically inquiring about my sons results.

HI, there is a site, Webpeciatrics.com that gives you the diagnostic guidelines for Pandas. If you have not already seen it, I highly recommend it. When you read it, and you find that it applies to your situation, then you are probably on the right track. The one big criteria that needs to be met is the "abrupt onset", as in overnight. One day your child was basically normal, the next day all broke loose. Good Luck

1) Read the FAQ's by Buster: http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6266

2) Get strep throat cultures on all family members (including suspected PANDAS child). Many PANDAS kids will not have typical sore throat symptoms with strep, only behavior change. Also, you want to make sure there aren't asymptomatic strep carriers in the household.

3) I would recommend the Cunningham Test as a "test for PANDAS". http://www.moleculera.com/ This is discussed in the FAQ's.

4) Where do you live? Maybe somebody can recommend a doc.