ACN Latitudes Forums

Lyme... Baby .... Worry

Hi guys

I have not used this forum much to post but its a great source for me and I always look on it

Anyway

I ha an undiagnosed Lyme during my pregnancy .. I got bitten early in pregnancy and got diagnosed late pregnancy ... In the end I had 10 weeks of amoxicillin

Anyway my baby boy seems healthy as is really a happy chappy . I always worry about Lyme and if it transmitted to him.

Somedays I live in denial and then it hits me he might have it.

I had the placenta tested via pcr which was negative and cord pcr negative but who knows how accurate this is.

Anyway how do I stop worrying ? My understanding is even of he has it I wouldn't treat him until or if symptoms show .

Has anyone ha a child that hasn't had Lyme even f you had it during pregnancy ...

Basically I keep pending on the what ifs and I'm going a bit crazy

First, congrats on the birth of your son!! Enjoy him and all the precious moments that come with that age (awwww). I would not worry as much. Knowledge is the best thing - and if you ever see symptoms you can quickly take action.

If you really want to do something, you could call Advanced labs about their new lyme culture and inquire if it can be done on a newborn. It's a blood sample, so I don't see why not. Expensive though - $595.

Enjoy him!!! Try to put the what if's aside (easier said than done- I know).

When I was going through IVF (all failed, but got my miracle) in response to my question about when can I stop worrying about a pregnancy, a wise nurse who was a mom told me you never stop worrying, just wait until the kid is born, then it really starts :) Since you did take a good course of antibiotics, and your baby seems healthy and had a negative test, I would be cautiously optimistic that your baby is Lyme free. Monitor for symptoms and test in the future. Try to stop worrying, there will be so many other things to worry about.

Thanks fir your reply xxxx

Here's one thought.

If you don't already have an LLMD lined up, you might give yourself peace of mind by finding one and scheduling an appointment with them so as to establish yourself and your child as a patient. Then, if you ever suspect a problem, you are not a new patient trying to find a doctor that you like. Also, it is usually longer to get a first appointment than a follow-up, even if the follow-up is years later. So you won't be waiting for a long time for an appointment if a problem does crop up.

Hi Philamom,

I am in process of trying to get my 13 yr old son tested for lyme. He has sudden onset OCD and tics. Of course the basic screening test at Quest was negative. Which lab is better for more detailed testing, Advanced Labs or Igenix labs? I'm sure that nervous mummy would appreciate the knowledge too. If there is any way you could shoot me a personal message, in addition to answering the question here, I would really appreciate it. I am seeing similarities in our children's histories and I think you would be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

Motherof2

I'm still treating as I have a few lingering annoyances .... Is Lyme classes as chronic if I had it for 5 months with no treatment ? Or would it be longer than 5 months .

I thought in my head that although the 10 weeks wasn't enough for my body .. It would likely help a 7 pound baby as the Amox passes the placenta and would have gone directly to him ( if le did exposé itself to him) .. Do I make sense

Motherof2,

Sorry, didn't see your post before.

Lyme is always a clinical diagnosis. Positive lab tests may support a diagnosis, but negative results can never exclude Lyme.

Igenex Western Blot is the best lab for serologic testing. Significant bands are 23-25, 31, 34, 39, 83-93. CDC criteria (Quest/Labcorp, etc) for western blot interpretation is highly flawed and insensitive and should not be used as an aid in diagnosis.

Advanced Lab culture directly detects living Bb. If positive, then there is an active infection with borrelia the time the specimen was taken. It's expensive ($595) and you must be off all antibiotics for at least four- six weeks.

I received reimbursement for Igenex (depends on your insurance) but not Advanced Lab.

And, then there is the tick-borne co-infections...

Hi Philamom,

I am in process of trying to get my 13 yr old son tested for lyme. He has sudden onset OCD and tics. Of course the basic screening test at Quest was negative. Which lab is better for more detailed testing, Advanced Labs or Igenix labs? I'm sure that nervous mummy would appreciate the knowledge too. If there is any way you could shoot me a personal message, in addition to answering the question here, I would really appreciate it. I am seeing similarities in our children's histories and I think you would be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

Motherof2

Edited by philamom

Hi Philamom,

Sounds like great news for nervousmummy as long as her baby hasn't been on antibiotics recently. My son has been on antibiotics for 4 1/2 weeks so can't do culture. I called Igenix and they told me antibiotics could affect some of the Lyme and other coinfection testing, but a LLMD might be able to interpret them anyway. I'm not sure what to do. I wish I knew a LLMD that would do a phone consult. Do you know one? I live in SC, which is totally Lyme ignorant. Motherof2

I run the Igenex Western Blot on my daughter every 8-12 weeks and she is on antibiotics. Its true that borrelia can go into cyst form while on abx, hindering results. But my daughter has tested positive many times with Igenex western blot over the past three years (before and after our positive Advanced Lab culture). We pay $60 for the Igenex WB igm/igg after reimbursement.

Hi Philamom,

Sounds like great news for nervousmummy as long as her baby hasn't been on antibiotics recently. My son has been on antibiotics for 4 1/2 weeks so can't do culture. I called Igenix and they told me antibiotics could affect some of the Lyme and other coinfection testing, but a LLMD might be able to interpret them anyway. I'm not sure what to do. I wish I knew a LLMD that would do a phone consult. Do you know one? I live in SC, which is totally Lyme ignorant. Motherof2

Edited by philamom