ACN Latitudes Forums

Fraudulent Generic Drugs

Back in 2009, after my dd 1st IVIG, she was put on Amox & Clav Potassium liquid brand name. When her RX was finished she was switched to generic and I noticed a huge backslide. Spoke with the pharmacist and was told in no way would it matter but that he would switch her back to brand name. Then, with the next refill it was changed to generic again, and I saw the backslide. I had to call the doctor at the time (Chicago) and ask him for a new RX with "brand name only" written on it. I wonder....

I will be checking all my prescriptions on that list to see if any are from the company. Thanks. Scary.

Edited by philamom

I want to mention that I got zyprexa generic and it was liking taking an entirely different drug though the pharmacist denied this happening my psychiatrist believed me and only prescribes name brand now. It can happen! Thanks for update.

Ideally:

Last I looked into this, generic drugs are held to a +/- 5% of the potency of a brand name drug. HOWEVER, I do not recall how often this is tested, so there is obviously room for error, just like there is room for error even between different lots of the same brand name drugs. When man is involved, errors will happen.

Additionally, thisregulates ONLY the active ingredients; whereas, some people react/respond to the different inactive ingredients between manufactures.

Sadly, fraudulent drugs have been a somewhat rare, but unavoidable, fact of life for the last 25 years I have been involved in pharmacy. It was likely a problem before then too :(.

Being aware is your best defense, and if you know there is a difference between generic brands or generic to brand, then speak up and don't stop speaking up until you get some satisfaction.

Edited by Mayzoo

This is a link to an article about an Indian company incorrectly manufacturing many generic drugs sold in the U.S., antibiotics included. Scroll down through the article for a link to the list of specific drugs: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/15/ranbaxy-fraud-lipitor/

Heather

Can you post the link please, I must have missed it. Thanks

Thank you for posting this!!! My ds was supposed to start "Valtrex" this morning, but I forgot, so he was going to start tomorrow morning until I saw your post. I checked the bottle and it's actually the generic - manufacturer, RANBAXY. I just printed the article and am headed over to the pharmacist.

THANK YOU!

Nothing on the ranbaxy list that DS has taken. However, I saw something startling. Ranbaxy makes the plaquenil I took for 15 yrs and I am certain I have taken ranbaxy's plaquenil at times. I don't know how much or when or the frequency that I took the ranbaxy's plaquenil. I don't know if I can track it down for confirmation. The reason it's so startling to me is because I developed a rare side effect of plaquenil. The medication accumulated in my retinas and I developed plaquenil retinal toxicity and I now have retinal damage.

It appears that the only ranbaxy abx sold in the US is minocycline.

Edited by nicklemama

Clindamycin HCL and Doxycycline monohydrate are also on the list in addition to minocycline - both abx sold in the U.S. by Ranbaxy.

I checked my dd's minocycline and fortunately manufactured by another company.

Nothing on the ranbaxy list that DS has taken. However, I saw something startling. Ranbaxy makes the plaquenil I took for 15 yrs and I am certain I have taken ranbaxy's plaquenil at times. I don't know how much or when or the frequency that I took the ranbaxy's plaquenil. I don't know if I can track it down for confirmation. The reason it's so startling to me is because I developed a rare side effect of plaquenil. The medication accumulated in my retinas and I developed plaquenil retinal toxicity and I now have retinal damage.

It appears that the only ranbaxy abx sold in the US is minocycline.

It does make you think - what happens with the large 500 million dollar fine levied against Ranbaxy? Why hasn't the FDA alerted the public using these drugs to the issues with the manufacturer? Does the FDA hold the monies from the fine in some kind of escrow against the possibility of claims?