ACN Latitudes Forums

Fraudulent Generic Drugs

Okay, so we know Ranbaxy has been guilty of fraudulant drugs, They got caught... How in the world are we supposed to know which other Pharm companies are doing the same thing and not getting caught? MIL has a generic rx that was filled w/ a different manufacturer than she had before and it is not working as well as what she used to get and she may be getting some SEs from it as well. Then I start thinking about how, in the past...a particular abx (rifampin) did wonderful things for us the 1st time we used it, but seemed ineffective when tried later. Did my daughter's response change or was it a different company and she wasn't actually getting the medication at all? How many times have we heard of people being distraught because their child isn't responding to abx? To say its just Ranbaxy, I think is naive. Other companies have to compete w/ Ranbaxy and others who are cutting corners to make things cheaper. And apparently, things are not well policed by the FDA. So how are we to know if it is the treatment that is ineffective or medication is sham?

Good question. The generics may have the same ingredients but they are not identical in their makeup but they are supposed to have equivalent action. In the world of rheumatoid arthritis, Watson is a generic known for its efficacy to be equal to its brand name Minocin. Other generic brands are less effective. I get Eatson brand minocycline from CVS.

• 4 weeks later...

Ranbaxy’s chronic maladies An Indian firm at the forefront of the revolution in cheap generic medicines hits fresh troubles

THIS is a golden age for makers of cheap copies of bestselling medicines whose patents have expired. Many of the world’s branded pills are falling off the “patent cliff”, at a time when governments are desperate to cut soaring health costs. Ranbaxy looked like a rising star of the boom in generic medicines when Daiichi Sankyo of Japan paid $4.6 billion for a 64% stake in the Indian firm in 2008. Since then Ranbaxy has suffered a series of safety scares and run-ins with regulators. This week it had another grave setback, as American regulators announced a ban on imports from a new factory that was supposed to solve Ranbaxy’s quality problems.

to read more please go to:

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21586537-indian-firm-forefront-revolution-cheap-generic-medicines-hits-fresh

• 1 month later...

I think this thread needs to be bumped. If your medication is not working, check out the manufacturer. This is worrisome for PANS because the response to treatment is a big factor in the clinical diagnosis.

And here is a link to where you can search the manufacturer's history with the FDA.

Edited by peglem

I think this thread needs to be bumped. If your medication is not working, check out the manufacturer. This is worrisome for PANS because the response to treatment is a big factor in the clinical diagnosis.

And here is a link to where you can search the manufacturer's history with the FDA.

Thank you. I was just thinking about this the other day, reminding myself to search for this post. Now I don't have to :-)

• 3 months later...