ACN Latitudes Forums

I want to homeschool.

So I just sent my 5 year old off to Kindergarten today who is having her 2nd flare up this year. A nasty virus swept through the school and most of the kids have been out of class for the last 2 weeks.

Of course, she does not display symptoms of the virus like other kids.. instead.. full-blown ocd/anxiety/tics overnight. But no cough, no sniffles, nothing.

I could not get her to go to school Monday or Tuesday. She refuses to eat and she can't explain why. If I put her in the car to go to school she throws up fluids everywhere and shakes.

Everytime she has a flare up the stress on me and her is just too much. Is it really worth it? And today I forced her to go into a classroom full of germs and sickness which no doubt will just continue to make her OCD worse.

Why?

I am so tempted so sign her up for the k-12 online schooling for next year. She will still be enrolled in public school but she can do it at home. I could take the stress off of both of us.

PANDAS aside, my child is gifted and from I hear the program is getting cut next school year. She reads and comprehends (she gets tested) at a 4th grade level and she is a Math whizz. She is far beyond all the other students in the class and they do not have the funds or the means to give her more challenging work.

So I have that in my mind as well, and I keep thinking why am I forcing her to go to school where it's not even worth her time to be there? The homeschool program they have they can have her work above her grade level with out having her actually move up a grade level.

I don't know, I am just confused and needed to vent a little. I just don't know why I am putting us both through this.

Hi Jen,

I homeschool my 11 year old dd and have for a year, starting when we first saw PANDAS symptoms. It has been a great decision for our family, regardless of the fact that it was never an option I had considered prior to her getting sick. It has taken the pressure off of all of us and brought joy in unexpected ways.

There is good rationale to not accommodate this illness further by making another major life change like leaving traditional school. However I think there are real benefits to homeschooling that make it a positive choice regardless of illness.

Most importantly, homeschooling is not a life sentence. Your child can return to traditional school whenever it seems right for everybody.

You can pm me if you want and I'll go into more detail about getting started, options for curriculum, homeschooling styles etc.

Best,

Heather

If your child is gifted and the school can't accommodate that, in my mind that in itself is a very good reason to homeschool. Otherwise, she won't be learning and it will just be a very boring daycare. Day after day. Month after month. Year after year. It can be excruciating to be reading years above grade level and have to sit through basic phonic lessons and simple math.

Does your area have good charter schools? Sometimes the are more flexible with their teaching.

What state do you live in?

I have homeschooled my kids from the start in NC.

My oldest was advanced academically at kindergarten age which was in part my motivation to homeschool. So glad I did, My second child has ocd/ possible PANS- and so glad she has been homeschooled.

Each state has different laws but there is so much support for homescooling now. It does vary by state.

Feel free to contact me about homeschooling questions.

Gina

I went through the same thing. After being in/out of school 3x's I homeschooled. I could not keep up with the daily stress and it was a nightmare for my child, who wanted to control herself and have friends, but could not. Now she is homeschooled where I can watch the reactions to the drugs/supps we try with her, and her chances of making a friend are better too, since not one of the girls would pick her as a friend, because of her issues. Now I can find a friend here and there and have quiet play dates, or not (if she is too sick) I just had no other choice. She was just too sick at the time and we really did not know what was wrong. She learns quite well on her own but needs complete quiet, which doesn't happen in school. She is much calmer and feels safe now. I hope this helps.